Declawing Pets

Discussion in Pets started by DrRipley • Sep 1, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've heard from both sides on this issue and I'm still a bit unsure on the subject. I've seen some comments online that stated that declawing pets are equal to if people amputating part of their fingers, and obviously from the amount of declawing videos of cats and dogs online, probably many would disagree.

I personally dislike the idea and would prefer to just keep the animals as natural as possible, but I'm not sure as to why they should even be declawed in the first place or if there might be any better alternatives.

Do any of you declaw your pets? What are your thoughts on this?

2. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have mixed feeling about this issue for a few reasons. The first concern of course with cats is having kids. It would would be a nightmare to have your cat scratch out the eye of your kid, but at the same time I feel it's depriving a cat of enjoying the natural ability to climb gratuitously. I feel if you have to De-claw your pet, you were probably better without it altogether.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have had my cat almost scratch my eye twice already, so having them with claws can be a bit dangerous. But I don't think they should be declawed though, because I don't want to deprive them the fun of climbing trees and stuff like that. People should just have to be careful around their cat if it's the type to attack.