Are you picky when choosing a detergent brand?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by prettycolors • Sep 1, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most times I'm choosing the cheapest detergent I can find. I'm trying not to stain my clothes or wear them too much so which brand I use and how powerful it is doesn't really matter. In most detergent commercials they use stain removal as a selling point, but is that really important? I know that most people use plenty of other substances along with their detergent, so why bother with an expensive brand of detergent?

(since this is related to clothing I'm posting it in the Fashion & Apparel sub-forum)

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very picky when it comes to laundry detergent as I am highly sensitive to artificial smells, bleaches and other ingredients that can cause allergic reactions. I always buy natural detergents from health food stores wherever possible. If that is not an option, I usually get laundry detergent for baby clothes. They tend to be gentle and have no or only a very slight scent.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am very picky. The smell is first and foremost, then the price and if it is non-biological. I prefer liquid or tablets to powder as sometimes powder clogs the drawer or doesn't completely dissolve which leaves residue. I always open up the bottle in the store to smell it and like fragrance I come back after a while and do a second sniff.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I bought my 1st pack of powdered detergent last month when I was about to wash my clothes, but I wasn't able to use it because they already bought one when I bought mine. So to answer your question, I'm not really picky when buying a detergent, I just tend to choose the cheapest one, since if there are tough stains then I just use bleach on it if it's white.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have eczema and my husband has psoriasis so I am picky about detergent. That being said, an expensive detergent does not necessarily mean a good detergent. We try to stay away from things that have too many scents or coloring in them. Also, we try to make sure and use as little of the detergent as possible, and up the degree of water temperature to ensure the clothes are still being cleaned. Often times, when we are trying a new detergent, we put it through a second rinse and spin cycle and this way we are sure to get as much of the detergent out as possible.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am picky about detergents. Why? The cheap ones don't get my clothes clean. The brand that works best (in my humble opinion) is Tide. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very picky. I agree with True2marie that Tide works the best. I will also use Arm & Hammer, Gain, and Wisk. My mom swears by Cheer. I love for my clothes to smell nice as well as being clean. I tend to buy bucketloads of it when it is on sale and I have a coupon. Then again I don't buy anything if it isn't on sale and I don't have a coupon except cat litter, which I am in constant need of.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I used to use the dollar store brand detergent, but I wasn't getting my clothes all the way clean. Over time the odor in my work clothes eventually didn't go away even after they had been washed. I think it was because the detergent didn't work very well. I also have sensitive skin, so i have to use unscented detergent and no fabric softener. I currently use Ecos, an all natural brand that is supposed to be environmentally friendly and all and it has not irritated my skin at all. I really like it, even though I have to use more than it says to because it doesn't sud as well.

9. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I am picky now that I have tried several brands, I have found that some definitely work better for me than others. I've tried a wide variety, and find that ones that are dye and scent free work best for me. I also discovered after switching from a top loader to a front loader that the type/brand matters even more now as some do not work well with the front loader system. If cheap detergents work for you, then stick with it. My self and my kids tend to have skin reactions to many of the cheaper detergents full of scents and colors.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sort of. I only use the Mexican Zote laundry soap bar that costs 94 cents. It works well and it's cheap. I'm not willing to pay more for a detergent that doesn't work as well, so I am picky, even though I use a very cheap laundry soap.