Do you still use prehistoric CRT monitors?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by beccagreen • Sep 2, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I still use my very old Samsung Magic Monitor way back from, I don't know but it's really ancient because it's default resolution is 800x600. Now I use this monitor whenever I game on my laptop, I plug in that old thing and I play my games on that monitor. I find that the FPS of most of my games improve when I'm using that old monitor and the colors look a lot better and I don't need to crank up The AA. Do you still use old monitors or equipments?

2. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    No, I haven't use a CRT monitor ever since the first LCD ones came out. In my opinion there's a BIG difference between those two and I really prefer the newer ones. Also, they're a lot thinner and they look great. You can also use them to watch movies/etc if you don't have a TV, by getting a TV Tuner.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah LCD's are great. I have a really huge LCD TV that doubles as a monitor for my PC but I sometimes just wanted to use the old ones, maybe it's because I've used that monitor for almost a quarter of my life so I really like it but I do see something really different between the two.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that's pretty old. I think CRT's use more electricity than LCD's? I'm not sure really. But as for me I don't use CRT's anymore. They're really bulky and they give me headaches every time because of the flicker. I agree with the color though, they look much better compared to LCD's.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My parents still use an old CRT monitor that I gave to them, not me. Thing is, even if the older types of monitors have weaker radiation protection my parents rarely use the PC so I guess it's ok for their eyes. I saw no point in spending cash on a top of the line LCD screen when they barely turn the thing on. As for me, I'm using a Samsung LCD that I bought a few years back - good eye protection and life like colors, I like it!

6. Trevorwilson131

Trevorwilson131New Member

Threads:
    I haven't used one in quite some time, and i strongly recommend that you upgrade to a lcd monitor. Not necessarily because it looks better, but at least for your own health. CRT monitors really mess with your sight.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a number of people who think all that talk about radiation was nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell new tech monitors. And as far CRT monitors being bad for your eyes, point is unless your screen flickers [like crazy] anyone else who uses a device that has a screen faces the same issue. That myth was debunked on some site:

So becca, if you like your CRT monitor, don't let go of it yet.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny most people thought I'm stuck with that monitor LOL I actually just use it when I feel like it. Normally when I do my work I use a regular LCD monitor that doubles as my TV. I only use CRT when I play games since it has a lower resolution that so I can lower the resolution of my game and not have to worry much about aliasing and the frame rate.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I don't really feel any eye strain or anyting using that CRT. I thought when I was a kid I'd go blind before I reach my 20 but my eyes are really sharp still and I don't feel headache. I think it has to do with the flicker, my monitor doesn't do those freaky flickering. The only problem that I have with these is that it's pretty dark, even if I crank up the brightness I still can't see squat.

10. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I still have one, and I'm thinking about buying a tower for it...
    I was reading the how they, supposedly, are bad for your eyes, and I immediately put my sunglasses on :cool:
    I'm probably going for it anyhow...

Set it by the TV, and go online on the CRT, watch movies on the LCD.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have last used a CRT monitor for the pc last 2008, after that it was already replaced by an LCD monitor. As for tv sets, since the 2 CRT tv's that we have here is still up and running, we still use it. I don't know if those tv's conk out in the future if they will still buy a CRT monitor or upgrade to an LCD one. I don't see a difference though in the color quality of the CRT and LCD monitor.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still have my old monitor from my old computer but I don't really use it anymore because modern screens are cheap enough these days so I just bought one. I'm mostly just keeping it around in case someday I want to start up my old computer again and since that was part of the set I'm thinking it would be best to just keep everything together.

13. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I think I was one of the last people to actually get a flat screen monitor. I used a CRT screen all the way up to 2011. I finally got a 18 inch monitor back then. Those things took up so much space that it make not sense. I'm now spoiled with my 40 inch TV/Monitor and I could never go back to using those huge ugly things. However, It would still better than having nothing.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! We actually do at home and at work. CRT monitors are very cheap even if they last for a very long time. Also, I like these more because my head doesn't hurt even if I have been looking at the screen for a long time. LED sometimes seem so distorted. Looking at it for a long time makes me dizzy.

15. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any room for a CRT monitor and I don't think the resolutions go very high. I'm happy with the LED monitor I have, but I wish they still made LCDs. Most LED monitors have an unnoticeable flicker, which caused headaches for me, but I got a Benq one that doesn't have this. The only other problem I have with LED monitors is that they're so bright, even on the lowest setting.