Drinking Beverages Out Of The Wrong Cups

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Sep 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do you guys find that drinking certain beverages t of the wrong cups somehow lessens the enjoyment?

I do. Whenever I drink beverages like orange juice or wine out of mugs, it doesn't taste as delicious to me, and it's the case even if it's the wrong glassware or something different from what I'm used to. It's why I'm convinced that wine should really only be drunk from a wine glass and it's why I'm soon going to be investing more on a variety of glassware. On the same note, it's also true for me when it comes to sodas and beer, as I usually don't feel the same enjoyment from it when I'm drinking out of a can and instead enjoy it more when drinking in bottles, either glass or plastic.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most important thing is that it is clean! Wine or champagne tastes better from a flute or a glass, however in some bars you get a tumbler. I have been served coffee in a shot glass which was strange, but that's how this cafe served it.

I don't mind drinking juice out of a mug either. They are easier to clean and it you have pets, glasses always get knocked over so you can't put them down anywhere. My friends cat would jump into the sink and smash the glasses that were waiting to be washed.

I tend only to drink from clear plastic bottles so I can see what I am drinking. There is a famous case in the UK (Donoghue v Stevenson) which set the law of precedent for Torts, as Donoghue drank some ginger beer from a bottle and found a snail in it and sued for being ill form it and won. Thus the makers had a duty of care to make sure there were no snails in the drink and for it be be safe to consume. Ever since I studied that case, I don't drink from a bottle unless I can see in it.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually have no issues with drinking out of the "wrong" type of glasses. It doesn't bother me.

But if you're a serious wine drinker, etc, then yes, you should have the right glasses. There are specific types that really do make a difference in the taste.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like metal cups so yeah, certain cups lessen my enjoyment. My old folks used to have metal cups in the house, the idea was that they never broke, but boy, did I hate them or what? If we were located on the top of a mountain I would have agreed with their choice, but in the middle of the city, metal - really :confused: Another thing I don't like is drinking wine out of a plastic cup. When that happens it feels like the wine, even if it's good, has a different taste. So I prefer glass for wine.

5. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    It is true for beer! Trust me. There are some beers that really are only best when they are paired with specific mugs. For example, a Budweiser would taste completely different in a glass mug (I do not recommend it) compared to straight out of a can or bottle. A good bartender would deliver you a nice beer how it is meant to be. I particularly enjoy a Blue Point Toasted Lager in a mug. Different beers are served in different glasses. A Stella is served in a weizen and an Ommegang is served in a stange -I trust my bartender, so I have never tried these beers outside of what is recommended.

So there may be some truth in your claim. I too prefer to drink orange juice in a glass cup.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    For me, there's no such thing as the wrong cup.
    I was about to say this is a women thing, but I see it's not...
    Me, I just pick up whatever is first on the cabinet.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I really do not focus on if it's the right cup or not. To me a cup is a cup. As long as it is clean that is all that matters to me. When I am thirsty, I ain't got time to be picking out a certain cup for my drink. I just grab one and go on about my business.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To some extent I think this is true. Snifters for example, are designed to trap the aroma somewhat of the liquor you are drinking, after you swirl it around a bit, so you get a strong scent with every sip you take. Traditional wine glasses are meant to be held by the stem so you aren't warming the wine by holding the sides of the glass with your hand, which will also affect the flavor. I think certain beer glasses have specific designs to them as well that have an effect on the beer that goes in them, such as facilitating the bubbles and/or minimizing the head.

I personally don't mind using whatever cup I am in the mood for, with the exception of a coffee mug. No matter how many times I clean them, they still impart some coffee flavor if I put some plain water in them or another beverage. I actually like those stem-less short wine glasses too, since the tall ones always tip over, especially in my sink.

I used to make cocktails in my little cocktail glasses, but I found myself getting up too much to refill them, so now I just make a tall cocktail.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't really mean that they tasted different, just that the experience was somehow augmented by using the 'wrong' type of cup. As a metaphor, I'd liken it to watching a movie using cheap screens and sound systems and sitting on a chair as opposed to sitting on the most comfortable couch and watching on the best screens and sound system. You'd be seeing the same movie on either method, essentially, but the experience would be different.