One exercise to rule them all?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by deathbyprayer • Sep 3, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest here, I hate exercising. I hate going to the gym and besides my schedule barely allows me to get out, I even work Sundays at home. So I was thinking about doing a routine maybe 30 minutes to an hour session every morning just to keep my blood going. So what single exercise can you recommend that really works out the whole body? One exercise to rule them all.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have the same problem! Because I can't exercise all the time, I am getting a little unhealthy. I have heard that planking is a good exercise routine. It's a core conditioning exercise. If you want to try it, they have this

. I am on this, too! So far, I can say that the results are favorable.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I guess walking is the one exercise to rule them all. My mom who is in the US has been using the treadmill, at speeds of just 5 kilometers per hour for 30 minutes every other day. She has done so for the past decade and at 85 years of age, she can still walk up and down the stairs even without holding on the the railings. I just might get one of the treadmill attachments where you can mount a laptop so I can do walking exercises while browsing.

4. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Wow so all you do is plank? How long do you usually do that routine? Half an hour or a full hour? How's it going for you. I think I'll be trying this one, I'm still going to wait for a few suggestions. Thanks!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jogging is the best way to lose weight! I jogged only for a few days per week during summer, and there was really a noticeable change in how I look and my tummy got slightly reduced. I noticed that the more you sweat like a pig, the more you lose weight.

6. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Hey that's a cool idea but I sadly I don't have a treadmill at home and I can't afford to throw away money at one now. Also I can't really walk around outside since I'm living in a concrete tower, maybe I can take the stairs instead. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Yeah I tried jogging back then but in my current place that I live in jogging isn't really an option for me now. If I had a treadmill I would probably job. Yes there is a gym nearby but I don't want to spend a lot of money just to run for an hour every other day.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I use to do low impact cardio routines, they're pretty simple but require different movments so it's probably not up your alley. I used to do burpees a lot as a form of single exercise and it's very very tiring. If you want to really work out your whole body try burpees. But if you want more of a low impact try doing some jumping jacks instead.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is precisely the reason why I like swimming as exercise over most other options. Swimming allows me to get more done with the same amount of time. For example, if I jogged for 30 minutes then I would have my heart pumping and my legs working and also get myself sweating, but that would leave my upper body ignored, whereas if I swam for 30 minutes I'd get all of that plus I'd get to work out my chest, arms, and shoulders, as well as my lungs.

10. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I say push-ups and squats.
    No matter what your goal is, you just have to adjust the amount of work you do...

No leaving the house.
    No need for a lot of room.
    Can build muscle.
    Can improve cardio.
    Can do 15/20 minute programs.
    No need to buy equipment.

11. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Hey thanks. I think I would go for this routine this is far easier than cardio, I hate cardio. Do you think this can reduce belly fat? I don't really want like tight abs I just want to cut the excess

12. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that walking is the best exercise because it doesn't require you to exert yourself. Waking also is easy and everyone can do it.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I know this feeling all too well. I work throughout the week and only have time on the weekends to incorporate Billy Blanks and some Pilates on Saturday and Sunday. I try to do 40 minutes to an hour on each day. Throughout the week, I try to keep my body in shape through stretching and simple 15 minute exercises I do once I get home. I have made this suggestion to another member and you should check out Joanna Soh's YouTube video channel for some great and effective exercises. I typically combine two 15 minute routines into 1 for a 30 minute workout if I have time in the morning. It is best if you do a variety of workouts because you don't want to hit a fitness plateau - a point where your body becomes immune to a workout and you no longer see effective results from this type of exercising.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I think you already got your answer. :D

Stair climbing is an exercise that you can definitely do. You can simply walk up the stairs, run up the stairs or take 2 staircase steps at a time for variations. I do it once in a while when I'm bored with running and it can really work up a sweat. Just be careful though. :)

15. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Why don't you just take a walk around the neighborhood. Once you get in better shape add some weights on you via back pack. It's one exercise that we do everyday and easier on the joints as opposed to jogging. Every couple of days pick up the pace and eventually wear a back pack full of weights. Its cheap and simple.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Colebra nails it. Body weight work outs should be the answer. Push ups, pull ups will get you the exercise you need. Add sit ups for your abdominal muscles.

As for your question about belly fat, sit ups can deal with that. Chances are after some time you just might get those six-pack ripped abs which are admired so much.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend to you to go swimming every day. With minimal strain you will be working every muscle in your body, while your heart really gets pumping. If you don't like or can't swim, simply walk or try to "run" in the water. It's an excellent resistance exercise that will improve your circulation. Plus, if you tend to sit a lot during your work, your spine will really be thanking you for the gentle but effective exercises that you can do in the water.

18. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    If you could only pick one exercise to get fit I would have to say burpees. You start from a standing position and squat down, which uses your legs. You then push forward and kick your legs back into a push up position, which uses your core. You then perform a push up, which works you arms, chest, and back. Then tuck your legs in using your core muscles again. Finally you stand back up and do a jump tuck, which uses your legs again. Not only do you work your muscles, but you will quickly start working your heart too. After 10 of these every day you will be very fit. Performing them slowly or quickly, or pausing at certain points in the exercise (eg. a plank for 30 secs in the push up position) would allow you to switch from cardio to strength training.

19. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Does it have to be a single exercise, or could it be a single exercise program? I've done through the whole T25 series because it was on sale at a local Walmart. It's a fantastic program and really provides a great work-out in only 25 minutes.
    It's a constant rotation of exercises and hardly takes any time. Sean T will keep you entertained and make the sweat pour.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'd vote against the "One exercise to rule them all" mentality because after awhile, your body starts to adjust to the exercise and you won't see the same results that you saw in the beginning. Muscle confusion is a really important part of losing weight and getting healthy, so a good mix of cardio and strength training is the way to go.

If I don't have time to go to the gym, I'll do 10 minutes of push-ups and sit-ups and 10 minutes of walking/running/jogging. If you're looking for a few basic exercises, those would be the ones to do.