Chromebook

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by chiofthenorns • Sep 4, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I received a Chromebook as a present for my birthday this year. I haven't had a laptop before, so this is the first portable computer I ever used. I read that many people don't like the Chromebook because it is useless without the Internet. You can't do basic operations here if you do not have a connection. Nonetheless, I love my Chromebook. I can watch movies on it, play games, and type documents. It also comes with a free 100 GB Google Drive storage for 2 years.

Anyone here who owns a Chromebook? What are your thoughts on it?

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well, honestly I haven't tried it yet so I can't really comment that much but from what I've seen based on how my friends use it, I don't really like it. First off, the internet connection, I do have 24/7 connection to the internet but just the fact that it's pretty useless without it is really getting into my nerves. The Chromebook I think has a more precise target market and I have to say I'm not part of that market.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people have an Internet connection throughout the day, and Google has already started implementing offline capabilities along with adding a handful of Android apps to Chrome OS. I'd say that most people that complain about Chromebooks are the ones that buy them thinking they're getting a cheap and sometimes stylish Windows 8 laptop. These are the same people that don't read product descriptions before adding something to their cart.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a fan of the Chromebook really but I guess I'm not one of their demographic but for a laptop that starts off with a reasonably $200 price tag I think it's pretty sweet. Of course it's not called a Chromebook for no reason so if you're into hardcore computing and all that stuff the Chromebook is not for you.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been wanting to buy one for a long time now but have been hesitant due to the lack of ability to install my own programs. There are a few programs that I have grown accustomed to that I don't think I'd be ready to give up or substitute with one of the free apps that Google offers. Though, I think it would be great as a secondary option or backup for me. I also read in one of the thread here that it had a lot of ads, though I never looked into it enough because I wasn't going to buy one anyway.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of the chromebook...you really can't beat it for the price and honestly, how often are you going to be without internet? You can't go very far where I live without running into free wifi, so it's not really a big deal to me. The price is right and as long as you have internet, there's a fair amount that you can get done.

7. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I own a chromebook and I think the biggest plus is that even low-end laptops can handle the operating system very smoothly. However, it comes at a huge disadvantage in that you can't install applications that would otherwise work on a Mac, Linux, or Windows. A good tradeoff though if you can live without them and mainly use it for word processing and such.