Have you ever donated your hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 5, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever donated your hair? There is a new organization doing it called, 'Pantene Beautiful Lengths'. They have partnered up with the American Cancer society. You need at least 8 inches of clean hair to cut for donation. They have an incentive that might encourage more to donate - a 50.00 rebate on salon services once you donate. The way it works is, you download the form from their website, go to any Walmart store and purchase your product (you can use other coupons when you make this purchase), mail in a padded envelope your hair, Walmart receipt, salon services receipt (because you probably had to go to a salon to get your hair cut), and the donation form. Pantene will then send you a Citibank gift card for the value of your Salon services (so if it only cost 20.00 you may not get the full 50.00 back.)

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's pretty awesome actually.

I only know of Locks of Love and I don't think they have any rebate program like this. I'm glad it only pays for the haircutting fee itself, too (instead of getting the full $50, for example) or many people would be enticed to do this specifically for the money unfortunately.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My sister has donated her hair to Pantene on at least 2, possibly 3 different occasions. I had not heard about the rebate aspect of the program, so I cannot offer any opinion on it, but that's a great deal. I hope it encourages more people to donate! I can't donate because I have color treated hair, otherwise I would.

4. Riggy

RiggyMember

Threads:
    No, I've never donated my hair and if I did I wouldn't want money for it. I'd feel terrible to ask for money for something that would help people in life. I don't think I'd be able to sleep if I was thinking about the fact that I got money to help someone with cancer who bought a wig.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great offer. I have never donated my hair but I would in the future if it was long enough. I have only had hair long enough a couple of times, I think. I get impatient and cut it in the warmer months. I'd like to donate in the future if I can hold out!

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have really long hair (up to my butt) when I was young. My mom liked it that way. When she cut it because the ends were very dry, I thought about donating it. However, my mom disapproved because she said that my hair was just too damaged. It was a nice idea though.

7. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    You have to be careful where you donate your hair to some places say that they are going to children, but are really being sold as expensive wigs. I like the rebate program and if it is with the American Cancer Society then it is probably legit. I have never donated my hair, but I thought about doing it before. I had cancer when I was younger and losing you hair is a big blow to a young persons self image.
    I was very happy when I got my wig.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried donating my hair yet, but I won't mind doing so in the future, especially if it's for a good cause. I used to have long hair when I was a kid because my mom wanted me to grow my hair long, and she was in-charge of my hair, but when I grew up and the strands were not baby fine anymore I have grown my hair short, like up to shoulder length. It would have been nice for that baby fine hair to be turned into a wig.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think this scheme is really new because I am hearing about it for the first time. I think it can be done easily by having a long length of hair. And it is not as if you are losing anything, hair can always get back by growing it once again. But I do not understand why does one need to donate hair and what will be done with the hair that one receives. All I can think is that they will be sold for a greater money than the incentive they are giving to donators.

10. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    That is an awesome cause and an awesome organization. I have heard of it before. However, I am a male who usually has shorter hair, but recently I have begun to grow it out. If I hit a certain stage to where I am growing tired of the long hair, then I will certainly donate my hair. The question is, I do not know if I will meet the requirement of eight inches of hair.

11. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds really awesome, though, I've never used a salon at Walmart and would hesitate to try. I've donated to locks of love before. It was a little more work than I wanted (having to mail it in myself). Some salons do it for you. It was nice that postage was paid and everything though, and the times I go from super long to super short hair (about once ever 5 years) I always feel better doing something worthwhile with it.

12. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't donated but my partner did some while ago. We called up Pantene and asked where we could drop it off. It wasn't anything they promoted too often so they were happy to receive the donation. We didn't get any rebate or incentive. We did it just because I had heard about hair donation and he wanted to help. And the way we see it when you receive something, rebate/tshirt/totebag/etc, when you donate...TECHNICALLY it's not a donation. It's just CALLED a donation for tax purposes. :rolleyes:

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'll never donate anything if it benefits Walmart.. or any brand for that matter. But I have been thinking about this. I have long hair and was tossing around the idea of going short. My friend's son was just diagnosed with leukemia though, so I'm definitely motivated to jump on board now.