Any Bad Habits That Cost You Money?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Sep 6, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's talk about killing two birds with one stone. Save money and keep yourself healthy at the same time.

Cigars, alcohol and addiction to banned substances isn't only bad for your health but makes a significant dent in your earnings. Smokers for example spend about $1800 a year to get themselves lung Cancer. Guzzlers spend about $1200 a year to get themselves live cirrhosis and other health problems.

But that's just the tip of the ice-berg. Any other bad habits habits [that are bad for one's health] can someone quit to save money? And make them healthier [or avoid health problems those habits would cause in the long run]?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... maybe choosing to drink sodas, juices, and other flavored drinks over water. I know someone who doesn't like the taste of water. She told me that it is too plain, and drinking it makes food taste bad. So, she always drinks sodas or juice every meal. When she went to the doctor for her regular checkup, her blood sugar level is too high that she might already be diabetic. The doctor told her to stop drinking sugary drinks, but she is having difficulty adjusting. Now, she is spending a lot on medicines. This person is my grandmother.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I have a habit of visiting shops or aimlessly window shopping. I think this can be considered a bad habit. Aimlessly window shopping is like courting temptation and can lead to unplanned spending. Buying anything that is outside of the budget is bad, even worse if the amount you spent would require you to sacrifice something in the coming weeks just because you gave in to the temptation.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, if those are the types of bad habits we're talking about, then I would say food choices are a big one!

Buying convenience foods and fast food, etc, are not only pricey, but also make you unhealthier. By eating healthier instead, you can save money directly AND with health bills later on.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have a very bad habit of carelessly throwing things around and never bother to clean up my place. Due to which I end up losing lots of things. I had to spend quite a lot of money on buying the same things again and again, just because I was not responsible enough to take care of them. I do not understand how I have developed the laziness to lose things in this fashion, but I find it hard to break the habbit. I am sure that if I continue in this way I will pay a huge price and will repent highly.

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Eating out is what costs me the most money. I get lazy and don't feel like cooking most of the time, which means going out and wasting my money. I tend not to do that if I'm actively working out because I start eating healthy so can see the results. So I try to keep myself always working out, and that way I feel better and save money on food.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you already mentioned the worst of them. But still, to add something, anything that's not done with moderation is a bad habit and a money waster. Think about drinking too much coffee, soda, tea or about eating too much - after a point it all becomes bad for you and you start spending more. BTW, is taking the car to buy a bread from a store that's one minute away a bad habit? Because if it is, I have a few friends struck by the let's be lazy bad habit :D

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any vices, but I must really stop browsing stuff in Ebay, since lately I have become a bit of a "thrill-bidder" and I tend to bid on items that I like even if I don't need them. It's like getting the temporary happiness that buying stuff can provide a person. I must spend my money on something more important, so I will curb this tendency.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    A bad habit of mine is watching movies that I have no idea whether it's good or bad. Whenever I had some free time, let's I get off work an hour or two earlier I tend to visit movie theaters and randomly watch any movie that's showing by the time I got there.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Vices I don't have so I guess I'm good with that but I have this habit, it's not really bad since I don't do it often but when I do it's a mess. I have a very bad "WE'RE ON SALE!" impulse behavior that whenever that sign goes up on a store, I can't help but either check out and purchase one. Usually I just check out the products and it's good if nothing caught my interest but that rarely happens.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If going out to eat at restaurants can be described as a bad habit, then I am guilty of that. :) I like going out with friends, even when I am a bit short of cash. I like to live in the present and enjoy life as much as possible, not being overly concerned about my financial status, unless it is really in the glowing red.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm addicted to buying makeup!! It's a pretty nasty habit for my finances!!! I'm better now, but up until last year I was a nightmare, I spent so much money on makeup it's crazy..... At the beginning of the year I ended up getting some stuff and decided I would completely stop buying new makeup unless strictly necessary.

13. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    If I go to a store without a list in mind of what I'm going to buy I end up walking around and spending way too much money. It's a bad habit of mine. I try to stay away from most thing in this thread like sodas, fast foods, etc. I'm guilty of buying too much makeup too though. I have also put myself on the no new makeup unless necessary rule! lol.