Clothing You Avoid Buying?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Sep 6, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some kinds of clothing which you may buy cheap or expensive but will cost you quite a bit to keep them clean, among other things.

For me, I never buy white clothes. The simple reason is, the work I do requires me to get my hands dirty. As a result, any clothing I wear will also get a little dirty [or very dirty] depending on the particular job I'm doing on that day.

Dry Clean only clothes are also off my list. I'd rather not pay dry cleaners cash each time I want my clothes cleaned.

What of you., any particular clothes you won't buy?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you! I don't like white clothes especially white pants. Even if my boss requires me to wear some at work, I still find excuses. It's so difficult to keep it clean! I also get paranoid that my white is already more like off-white or dirty-white. Besides, finding underwear that will match white clothes is very difficult.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    These are the exact same clothes that I avoid as well. I don't like to have to worry about getting things on a white top for example, which would show up more than on a colored top. And dry clean only clothes, I don't want the fuss of dealing with that. Only if if was a really fancy outfit that I wouldn't be wearing much.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. I hate white clothes, they get all dirty too easy and they get yellowish when they get too washed up. But I'm more keen on the fabric, if it's hot and sticky in my skin I'd toss it away.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like white clothes too except for t-shirt. Aside from whites, I also avoid buying any delicate fabric that requires special care like satin or lace and clothes that are very hard to iron. I don't have the time nor the patience to care for these kinds of clothing. :(

6. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I never buy/wear any lighter clothes (as in color). It's all black, dark blue and gray for me. Just a personal preference I guess.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    There are lots of things I avoid buying. Like you, I don't often buy white. I also avoid things that take a lot of ironing, such as linen. I never, ever buy anything needs dry cleaning.

8. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Like may of you, I don't really buy anything white as it gets stained really easily and loses its shine early in the life-cycle. But when it comes to black, I really love it. As far as avoiding brands is concerned, I try avoiding French Connection as much as possible.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't like the color white in general, so I avoid buying it because it looks cheap and plain, lol especially plain white t-shirts. White pants is ok for me. But I don't really make it a point to buy one. I also don't like silk clothing because my nails easily get stuck in the fabric. Plus those clothes that have really bright colors, I don't buy them.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I avoid buying clothes that feels hot when they are worn, that they would make me feel hot. What I often yield to are those that are comfortable to wear, those made up of cottons. If they are not cotton, I think twice before picking them. And often I don't pick them, only in very special situation that I do, like for example they are off on a very high price and the design is really good. But even then, I really wear them.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Same with me...there are not a lot of whites in my wardrobe and I'd rather not buy things that NEED to be dry cleaned. If it's going to be a hassle for me to have something, I'm unlikely to want it enough to get it, even if it is exceptionally beautiful or flattering. I want my wardrobe to work for me more or less effortlessly.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I never wear white clothes and I avoid dry clean only unless it's a special occasion dress. I also try to avoid clothes that are 100% artificial fabrics because it's not very breathable and I live in a hot climate. This one is getting harder and harder, but I try to avoid clothes that are too sheer or see through and require layers. Wearing layers is not very practical when it's hot but I wouldn't want my bra showing through a sheer shirt. It's kind of hard because it seems lately all clothes are being made like that.

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am wide in the chest and hips so I tend to stay away from clothes that have horizontal stripes. I have read before that this can be like a bullet eye for your big areas, drawing eyes to them. I like to wear black because I have read it is slimming. But other than that I just try not to 'muffin-top' it if I can help it. I have been told I wear my clothes too baggy though, so I think I still need to improve in my style department.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like tight fitting clothes made of materials that don't let my skin breathe. I especially try to avoid polyester wherever possible. I also don't like light shades such as white and yellow, and I really could never wear anything that is of a peach or pink colour. t's obvious that I am very fussy when it comes to clothes. My clothes have to be made of natural materials, comfortable and, naturally, dyed with colours that please me.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not get dry clean only for the same reason. Like someone else said maybe for special occasions but I'm not sure.
    I also don't buy dresses because I don't wear them. They are fine on other women but not for me. The last time I wore a dress that I remember was during prom.

16. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I try and stay away from clothes that are a pain to clean, dry cleaning for example. My other pet peeve when it comes to clothing is something that requires you to spend 15 minutes ironing before you even put it on. We have a big family and I do a lot of laundry. That's the last thing I need. It's hard enough trying to get everyone out of the house on time and then to also have to worry about ironing... nope!!!

Danyel !!

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I am just now starting to buy white clothes again after avoiding them for years!

Other things that I avoid, though, are ones that I only have one item it'd match with (or nothing at all). Even if I really like an item, I know that I'm just going to end up having to buy other clothes that match with it and I'll spend way too much for no real good reason.

18. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to avoid buying very trendy clothes and if I do buy something very trendy it tends to be relatively inexpensive and from more of a fast fashion store. For me I can't justify spending a lot of money on an article of clothing that I can't wear much past the current season. I also try to avoid dry clean only fabrics when I can because maintenance can get expensive.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a specific set in mind with regards to clothes that I don't buy. I really don't have much variety though. Pretty much my entire collection is smart casual. I don't really go for expensive labels. But I won't scrimp, because quality clothes can last years. I go for simple colours, nothing pruple, even green is pushing it.

20. Julie Dawe

Julie DaweNew Member

Threads:
    I avoid buying underwear online. I know sounds weird. But a while back, probably going back a few years now, I bought a few pairs online. I wont say where, but needless to say when they had arrived, even though I had ordered a medium, they came and they were much smaller. They were Made in China and now I know that apparently their sizes are different from ours. Oh well, I live and I learn. I also agree with you as well though, for work purposes I stay clear of white clothes. Most times get too dirty too quick. Even when you're not working in white clothes they get dirty quick. Speaking of, why is it that when I'm wearing a white top and eating spaghetti, I always drop the sauce on my top. When I'm not wearing white and eating spaghetti, nothing drops. LoL Guess because I'm more cautious when I'm wearing white, I become to cautious and it spills anyway. When I'm not wearing white I'm paying attention to it as much. :)