Buying foreign goods off eBay?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by megadelayed • Sep 6, 2014.

1. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    Has anyone bought things from a foreign country on a online shopping site like eBay before?
    I was looking into a phone (Samsung Galaxy J) that isn't sold in england but I can buy it off eBay from Taiwan, I was just wondering if this would be a good idea, and would I run into problems with Customs and Taxes etc.

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    As far as product problems go, it really depends on the seller...
    I once bought an item from India, and it was all good.
    It was a cheap shoulder mount for a DSLR. Not too many fragile, moving parts on those...

As far as customs and taxes go, I suggest taking a look at your country's laws on this issue.
    I know that where I live, there are certain countries I can order from, and I will not be taxed...
    Also, the bigger the package, the more likely it will be seized by customs.

I had no problem with the India order. No issues with the quality of the product, and no stress with costums.
    That's my experience.

3. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    have ordered Xbox One through Ebay.com as it's not available in Indian region yet. I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but my friends have gotten their consoles, so I am positive that I will get my product shipped as well.

4. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I have also brought a camera bag from China before, and although the shipping took ages, I didn't get charged taxes. But that was a item that I am not going to worry about being thrown around and treated carelessly by freight companies. I have looked online and I see something along the lines of 20% tax on anything over £80, which is quite steep I think, and I am kind of worried if a phone can survive the trip to the UK from Taiwan.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there's a 50-50 chance of getting scammed if you buy from places where you know there are many scammers. But if you are careful and buy from a seller who has a number of positive reviews there won't be any issues. However since I know some people who bought stuff from China, and were satisfied with the products they got, I believe that since most sellers just want to do more business, buying from another country shouldn't worry you that much.

6. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I buy most of my items nowadays from ebay and amazon and I've had positive experiences 98% of the time. If you pay with paypal you'll be safe...if they scam you you'll be entitled to a replacement product or a refund most of the time. Just buy from sellers with good ratings, and you won't be scammed as they are constantly trying to outshine the competition by having the best customer relations. Whenever I've ordered things like books and they've sent the wrong item, they also let me keep the wrong item in addition of sending the one I ordered, so I've even gotten books for free :)

7. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the UK but have made many Ebay purchases from the USA. I have never encountered a single problem with any of the transactions, in fact i have had more trouble from buying items within the UK.

As far as Taiwan goes i think it depends on the source of the product. I don't think you can generalise about a nation it comes down to the suppliers integrity. I have heard some reports about branded goods not being genuine from the far east but that may just apply to goods bought in bulk.

8. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I buy a ton of stuff internationally on Ebay. I have to admit I get nervous if the item is >$50, and I tend to look for a seller in my own country in that case, only because of the risk of shipping overseas and packages getting lost. However, the $0.99-9.99 items? I order at least 10 a month and rarely experience issues. Then again I have a high standard for positive feedback and quality looking listings. So basically be careful, but I definitely think it's fine to do.

9. PatriciaKay

PatriciaKayNew Member

Threads:
    I buy a great deal from China and have never had any real problems. There are some things to take into consideration, though. First, the shipping might take a while. If you can wait, you might get a great deal. Also, save everything. Take pictures of the item as soon as you get it. Take pictures of the box if there is any damage. Then, if you have to dispute, you will have proof to show.

Also note that many, many of the items we buy here are made in China. Since their business practices aren't what we are used to, companies there will often take one of the designs they are given to reproduce for an American company, and use the specs to reproduce their own brand, often with less quality parts or workmanship. This can be good and bad for the consumer. You get a cheaper version of it, but if it is something that will fall apart just when you need it to be stable, you are sunk.

Somethings are best purchased from China, in my opinion. I buy all my beads and jewelry findings there, because that is where they are made and found.

10. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    Buying this kind of stuff is totally dependant on the person who is selling them. Most things on eBay like electronics if sold by reliable sellers can be pretty good. I think if the seller has a good rating and feedback then there is no harm in buying an item from them. It can take a while for the items to reach you though.