Would You Use A Watch Phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lizzief79 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I was reading the newspaper yesterday and saw an article about various companies releasing watch phones this year. They are basically a watch with all the usual functions that a digital watch has, but they alert you to new text messages and incoming phone calls etc. Would you buy one of these? Most are on the market for about $400.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy a $400 watch even if it has a free whatever. I think it's great that we're now moving into the wearable tech future but I don't think the technology is perfect, not yet.

Most of these watches have horrible battery life specially considering that it's a watch and the functions aren't really that mind blowing, I mean if you take it to the basics they're just there so that you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket every time. Yes it's convenient but I think I'd rather pull my phone in and out of my pocket than pay $400.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I would because I don't have much use for it. I keep my phone close by most of the time and have no problems with picking it up to check notifications out, but is suppose it could come in handy in a few occasions wherein I'd rather leave my phone far away. I'd probably only consider it if I got to use one and it turns out that I enjoy the features, but on the surface I don't think the added value is enough for the price, for me personally. I'm considering buying future generations of it though.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't buy a high tech watch, because I already have my phone for that. I think that watchphone is aimed at the people who have lots of money to spare, but not for me though. I won't pay $400 to see a tiny screen saying that I have a text message.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I don't think so.

On one hand, it does sound kind of convenient to get notifications to your wrist instead of needing to keep your phone directly on you. It's also less rude to glance down at your watch when it buzzes instead of pulling out your phone.

On the other hand, I think smartwatches are really ugly and I wouldn't wear them.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. I don't think I'll be comfortable in using it instead of the regular smart phone. I don't find it appealing as it is right now but maybe in the future when it has more interesting and really useful features. Though I don't think that I will ever get used to the idea of using a smart watch. :confused: I like my watch only for telling time and as a fashion accessory too, I don't like to use it as a gadget. :rolleyes:

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches? I don't consider myself a techie, so I don't think that I will get one of this. Also, considering that I live in a country where theft is prevalent, imagine having a watch as expensive as $400! It would be gone in a flash. It's just inconvenient. I don't see any reason why I should get this. It would be funny though to see someone texting using a watch or calling someone using a watch.

8. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I find that the smartwatch just brings another item that you'll have to charge daily along with your smartphone, and that it doesn't actually offer much more than a standard watch. If it was me, I think I would prefer something like a Rolex to say an Apple or Android smartwatch.

9. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    No I wouldn't use a smart watch. It's a fun little gimmick but I won't be dipping into the market any time soon. I have watches now that I don't wear, the last thing I need is a $400 one sitting on my shelf!

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I've used one before but I don't see myself buying one any time soon. Far to expensive for too little reward. If I had loads of money to spend on trivial things I might do but its not enjoyable or practical to use for anything other than keeping track of exercise.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It's a cool piece of tech and something I would absolutely try if I had unlimited funds, but the new smart watches definitely qualify as a want rather than a need. At any rate, on new gear like this, I like to wait at least 6 months for them to fix the bugs and deal with the problems that inevitably occur with a new tech release. So even with unlimited money, it'd be something I'd wait a bit on to buy anyway.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't like the idea of a watchphone. lol It's not for me. It's so uncomfortable to use, just thinking about it makes me despise the idea even more. I can safely say I'll never use that device even if everybody else is using it and I'll be the last one person in the planet who uses a regular phone.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think smartwatch are really cool and one needs to know quite a lot about how it works before they start using them. I would love to own a smartwatch. I think they are additional gadget that every one must have.

14. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Can't your regular smartphone do this exact same thing. In fact, isn't it built to do exactly what this smart watch is suppose to do? Stuff like this never ceases to disappoint me in human beings. We have smartphones, TV's, and even alarm clocks that do these things. Why do we gotta mess with a watch and make it more like a phone?

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's all right to buy this gadget but it's not something that appeals to me. My laptop and smartphone already cover the functions (and more) of a watch phone. So it's pretty much redundant to own one. Not to mention I like gadgets with bigger screens. As you age, your vision takes a toll on you. It'd be difficult to make full use of a watch phone when your eyesight's no longer as good as before.

16. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    What's the point? Because watches are more portable and you can wear it on your wrist? My smartphone can do what those watches can do a hundred times better and it's still portable so I don't see the appeal of these watches other than a ruthless gimmick to just cash in and be gone within a few years.

And come one, most phones today compete for a larger screen and unless your watch can project some sort of holographic display then it's going to be a pain in a butt and the eyes to squint just to read your messages.

17. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I certainly wouldn't spend $400 on something like that, when I could get a good phone that does much more for just about the same price to be honest. Also generally I'm not too excited about the idea of wearable technology, something seems a bit too weird about it for me. I think it'll need a few years to catch on, but for me it'll always have this idea of weirdness to it, but that's just my opinion.

18. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I think this is pointless in some ways, you can just look at your phone if you want to know about missed calls. These cell phone companies are just trying to come up with new ways to make people spent extra money besides coming out with new cell phones every 6 months. I'm not sure why anyone would need this unless they use their phone for business. There are some advantages to this cell phone watch like you don't have to pull your phone out every 5 minutes to check a messages or email. Checking your messages every 5 minutes and having to dig in your pocket or bag can be annoying after a few times. This watch can come in handy when it's cold or raining out though, it's a very convenient way to not have to search for a phone in the cold or rain.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I think the tech is very cool, I can't see myself wearing one.

I do enjoy the Android smartwatches. It seems very convenient to be able to talk to a device on your arm, but the style leaves much to be desired. I'm sure as the tech matures, they will become more stylish.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    When I was little I loved the idea of stuff like that, it just seemed so immersive and impressive and cool to have...but I don't really like it so much anymore on a practical basis. It's kind of interesting in theory but overall I'm not impressed with wearable tech, at least not as it's advanced so far.