Have You Spruced Up Your Bathroom?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 8, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever "spruced up" your bathroom?! Now, that may sound like an "awkward question", but it's actually quite important for everyone to do!

I was browsing around websites and search engines, trying to find ways to increase the value of my home, and I kept landing on the importance of a clean, updated bathroom as an irreplaceable tool that would help! Some sites even said that the bathroom is the most important feature that prospective buyers look at, in influencing their final decision when they are looking to buy a home!

Styleathome.com gives fifty tips on ways to spruce that bathroom up!

So...do you think that the bathroom is an important place to "spruce up"? If so, what are the ways that you use to make your bathroom a better place to visit?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I went one better than sprucing it up. I doubled it in size (my knees used to touch the bath when I sat on the toilet). I also had a white bathroom suite installed, the old one was avocado, and a seperate shower installed. The whole room was tiled in white tiles with a colorful striped tile atound the middle.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Last year when I moved in my new flat the bathroom was a mess. Since then I've painted the walls with a nice pastel blue, replaced the fittings, bathtub and sink. I also bought a few towels to match the color of the walls - it's a real pleasure to bath and sit on the 'throne' with the new look. So yeah, I have to agree with what you wrote, about buyers looking at the bathroom first when purchasing a new house. A bathroom that's falling apart means a lot of costs in repairs/improvements, who wants that?

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I agree a that a restroom can be the showcase of a home. We all have seen some pretty disgusting restrooms, and that can be pretty embarrassing. A nice restroom can be relaxing and the most comfortable place in a house if designed right and set up accordingly. As far as buying a home, I don't think I would go quite that far to buy my house based on the restroom layout. In conclusion thanks for sharing that link, that's very helpful to people like me that have very limited ideas about fancy restaurant.

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    [

Wow! You "stamped your foot on it and wouldn't take "no" for an answer!" I applaud you! These mega-improvements are awesome!
    I'm sure that the steps that you put in place made your comfort level reach to an all new sky-high when you started visiting your bathroom again! I can just imagine how greatly it elevated the overall look and feel of your home!
    You didn't just improve your bathroom, you flipped it and made it a whole new world! . Continue to raise the "home-improvement flag" high and let others know about how well you've done; I'm sure they could use the inspiration story, as well as the helpful suggestions that you could offer to them.

Great job!

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Awesome! Your bathroom has definitely become a "throne" fit for a King and/or Queen! It's great that you didn't just leave it as you saw it , because a good number of persons tend to come and see certain things that they might even be a little bit uncomfortable with in place in their new living space, and just say, "Well, it was here when I saw it, and it's gonna take me a whole lotta money to actually improve it, so it might as well stay there."
    This doesn't work, however, as people who say and think that are going to end up unsatisfied because in the back of their minds, they're conscious that they've settled , settled for "less-than-perfect", settled for complacency, and settled for something that's actually "gross" if you look at it through clear eyes!
    Continue to look at the other areas of your house that you may not feel totally comfortable with, write down what it is that "turns you off" in those areas, and find some good, simple and cost-effective ways to change it!

Nice work!

7. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I'm so glad that you've caught the trend of thought! It's so true! A great and well-designed restroom can, most of all, comfort the individuals who live in the home in which it is found, and those who visit and make use of it!
    I find where the restroom is indeed "the place to be" for me when I want to think a bit more deeply, and run away from "the maddening crowd" that is the hustle and bustle of everyday life!
    They say, "a man's home is his castle", so I definitely think that if it's your castle, then your "throne" should reflect that!

8. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I'm sure a nice restroom would help with making a decision of whether or not to buy a home. Still I don't imagine it would make or break the situation unless it's in really bad condition. Still, I was once watching one of those 'new couple looking for a home' type of shows and one of the houses they saw had a bathroom that was open to the bedroom. The doorway was an arch and there was no door. It was the most ridiculous layout I'd ever seen haha

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's kind of my thought as well. Unless it was really, truly awful I don't see it being the key point in anyone's decision making. We're renting, so no permanent changes or 'sprucing up' to be done, but I have had some fun decorating it and infusing it with some of our personal style. Plus it *has* to be smell good...really almost OCD about that point, lol.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A bathroom must be clean and smell good with no unsightly stains in the toilet or tub. The bathroom is one of the germest room in the house so it must be clean. If a person is looking to purchase a home and has no problem fixing and improving the bathroom it can be in a less than desirable condition. Some people don't want the perfect bathroom in their new home they want to make the bathroom their own.

11. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    The bathroom is very important in my opinion. We have lived in our home for almost 7 years and we just did a small upgrade on our downstairs bathroom. That is the most used in the house and the one that is seen most often. When we purchased our home, it was a model so there are differences in all our bathrooms. I think they wanted to showcase all that they offer for upgrades but the bathroom downstairs has all cheap things in it. That's why I wanted to upgrade. :)

It didn't cost us very much but it looks so beautiful now. Basically we painted it a warmer, more inviting color, changed the vanity and the faucets ( including the ones in the shower so they matched) and upgraded the lighting. I think the total cost was around $800. So well worth every penny and it looks so beautiful !! ( picture ugly white cabinets, a horrible yellowish color paint, cheap lighting and cheap faucets! :( )

So pleased with it now !!

12. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Very interesting perspective Pat! I can understand where you're coming from with this! Some people really do want "fixer-uppers", projects really, that they can manipulate into the exact model that they've always been dreaming of! For them, an awful-looking, less-than-perfect bathroom or other room for that matter, is like a literal playground upon which they can now work their creative genius!
    I never really thought of it from this point of view, and I think it's a definite plus if you know what you're doing, and also, it's great if you have the money to do it! I really think that prospective buyers/homeowners, for the most part, have invested their "life's savings" in the "property of their dreams" that they're looking for, so to have to go amend the "bathroom situation" might be a bit stressful and taxing on them.
    For me at least, I'd have to say I'm happy with a nice-lookin bathroom :)

13. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow! That's so great that you guys invested such a great and worthwhile amount of time and effort into really creating "the bathroom of choice" for yourselves, and for your visitors! Your bathroom sounds like a delight to make use of, and I can picture that you guys now spend a good amount of quality time in there!
    Which is no problem at all! I think that that's how it should be. As I like to say, and as has been said before, "a man/woman's home is his/her castle", so why not make it look like that?! You guys really do have an impressive throne, it now seems, and I hope that you channel this beautiful modification style, into the other rooms and living spaces of your abode. If you do, you'll wind up with a fixer-upper-turned-dreamhouse, in absolutely no time!
    This is great! I really am inspired by your passion and drive in stepping up to the task and "taking the bull by the horns" in fixing what needed to be fixed, and not just stopping there--you did an awe-inspiring job at it!
    Hurrah for you and your family! Keep doin what you're doin! I'm proud!

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I live in an apartment so it's not really important but it is in a way to me. I try to clean my bathroom when I get a chance because it can easily become a health hazard and it's important to organize so you can find things. I just bought an under the skin drawer. I hope it works.