How much would you save for a new home?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 10, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am planning to move house soon, but want to get everything new, as I have been renting so don't own any decent furniture that I could take with me. I have enough money for the deposit on The House, but the last thing that I want is to get there and then not be able to afford anything for the house itself - I don't want to be living on a floor for years until I am able to save up enough for a sofa, for example.

The cost of the house and the legal costs are covered, but how much do you think I would be spending? I am not too concerned about flashy things, I just want the bare minimum and can then build up what we buy as we get paid over the first few months of living there.

Does anyone have any kind of experience that they would be willing to share with me?

2. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    It's been four days and no replies :(

I've moved house over 10 times in the last 10 years. Not only that but I've also sold everything I own and moved country twice! I have completely refurnished my last move for less than $500. I find you can get so much stuff for FREE. The list includes a couch, bed, tables, chairs, TV (old CRT), crockery, and study tables. However, now that I'm in and set up I too want to start getting new stuff. That can be super expensive, depending on what you want. For example, an average new 42" TV can cost $1000. A new couch can cost $1000. A new bed can cost $1000. A new coffee and dining table can cost $1000. Whitegoods such as a fridge or washing machine can cost $1000. It depends on what you are willing to compromise on. If you get all those things second hand, you can at least halve the cost. If you are willing to compromise and live frugal you could get the basics for next to nothing. Look on Gumtree/Craigslist. Go to the goodwill and get some stuff. Ask friends and family for help. Table clothes and couch covers do wonders. You can also spray paints things to look new. Garage/yard sales are full of stuff you will need. Look on ebay for secondhand electronics and whitegoods. Don't forget about transport and fuel to pick them all up! I purchased a pick up and sold it when I was done. Cost me zero! Factor in the fuel/pick up cost into your budget too. Good luck

#2Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014