What Type of Headphones Do You Prefer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Spectre456 • Sep 10, 2014.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    There's so many types and brands of headphones out there that sometimes it can be overwhelming when you decide to pay good money for the best pair you can afford. You have to account if you want in-ear, on-ear or over the ear headphones and which brand and model is the best for a particular type.
    I personally own a pair of JVC HA-RX700 that I bought a couple of years back. They're not the best, and van get uncomfortable after a while but they gave me the best bang for what I could afford back then. Lately I've been saving up for a pair of Audio Technica's ATH-M50X which seem to have a lot of praise in the reviews I've read.

So what type of headphones do you own? Is there a particular model you like?

2. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I own a Grados SR80i and I think the design is comfortable as well as the sound quality is really good, being crisp and clear, but the bass is just a little too strong, and if I listen to my music with the volume turned up a bit higher, people nearby can also hear what I'm listening to, which is a bit annoying. I also have a pair of fake White Beats Studios that I brought from China a while back for around £25, which is quite cheap for a pair of headphones, and they are actually quite good for the price, as comfort is good, although the sound is slightly lacking in the 'oooomph'. But that is to be expected for a cheap pair of headphones.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Mine are cheap Monoprice headphones. I like these a lot. They sound good and are comfortable. Mine are the over the ear dj style. I think that larger headphones are more comfortable than earbuds.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer in-ear because I have hearing difficulties. My boyfriend bought Sennheiser earphones for me, and so far, they have been doing their jobs really well. I don't use them often though because I don't really listen to music all the time. I do not like over the ear headphones because they are too bulky.

5. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I'd recommend Sennheiser. They make really good quality headphones but don't overcharge for the brand. They're also really comfortable and well made. The only problem is that they come with an incredibly long wire for some reason, so you'll have to keep it tied up or it'll get tangled in the wheels of your office chair all the time.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I own the new Nokia headphones named Coloud and I'm very satisfied with their performance. They come in three types or siEs and I own two of them and they both are of very good quality and build. The sound on the smaller headphones are obviously a bit weaker than their biggest one but it's much better for transport and it still provides a very good sound anyway.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer headphones to use at home, but ear phones for everywhere else - like work, the gym, public places in general. They are more discreet to use out.
    I'm not loyal to any brands, I will usually pick Phillips, Maxwell or Sony, the best ones for the price.

8. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of Audio-Technica M50s which I've found to be great. They're headphones which personally I find much more comfortable than ear-phones so no complaints. They're also open-eared headphones as opposed to close-eared headphones so are much more comfortable as your ears don't "sweat' as much.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer Senheisers. I've been with that brand for years and it's the only earphone brand I trust. But as for the design, I take into consideration the use, if I'm going to use it for travel or commute I would prefer an in-ear ear buds with noise cancelling but if it's for casual listening only I prefer the over ears or just a cheap pair.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I also love Sennheisers. As far as the price and quality go you can never go wrong with a pair of Sennheisers. I don't mind which type of headphones I use really as long as they sound good. And oh, stay away from Beats as much as possible. Those things are way over priced.

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    This X2. Sennheiser makes fantastic products and you can always find them for great prices. I don't mind the incredibly long wire at all, I'd rather have a line that's too long over one too short for sure. Great sound, great value.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Nice, it seems a lot of people here love Sennheiser. To the ones that use Sennheiser: are the higher end ones comfortable for long periods of use? I bought a pair of HD202 I think a while back and they crushed my head. I felt like The Rock had been squeezing me like a grapefruit after about 15 minutes of use. Do the $100+ models have this problem as well?

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I forgot the model of earphone I have, but it was from the Sony store and cost me $10 (it was on sale for half off). They still work very well, and even though I've never bought a pair, I'm sure they work just as well as any $100 pair of earphones. Every sound is amazing, the bass and instruments are all highlighted perfectly and overall it's an enjoyable experience. I found the model:

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite headphones to date are my Shure earbuds. I don't recall the model number of them, but I bought my first pair back in 2007 for around $200, and then I bought another pair in 2010 for around $250. In both cases, I literally wore them out from using them so much, that the wires were falling apart from me wrapping them around my ears so much. They are very well made earbuds, it's not a ding on their quality, but rather how much I used them because of how good they were.

The main caveat I learned right away though when investing in something like that, is they can only sound as good as the device they are being played off of. They will actually make flaws in your device's sound quality even more noticeable. For example, the sound card on my computer was a cheap one and it was not properly shielded resulting in a hissing noise. A cheap USB to audio adapter (that came with a built in amplifier" fixed that issue though without having to buy a new sound card. Also, if you are listening to music on a portable device - in my case it was the Microsoft Zune at the time I bought them - those types of devices may not have enough power to give you loud sound quality, resulting in a weaker sound. But when plugged into a device like my computer, the sound is booming.

Right now, I am settling for a spare pair of Bose earbuds I got as a gift until I get another pair of Shure ones. The Bose are nowhere near as good but they are tiding me over for now.

15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently the owner of two types of headphones, one over the ear headphone and one in-ear headphone, I like them both, but I do prefer the over the ear headphone in all honesty. The reason I like the over the ear headphone a little more than I like the in-ear headphone is that, I feel that the in-ear headphone is too far down into my ears- too near to my delicate ear bones and so, at times, when the volume on my computer suddenly adjusts to a higher volume, I cringe. I do not find myself cringing with my over the ear headphones, even when the volume suddenly changes. Secondly, with over the ear headphones, I find that they don't put the wax out of my ears, so they are most times cleaner than my in-ear headphones. Thirdly, because the over the ear headphones really don't go all the way into your ears, pulling wax out, I find that I am more ready to lend those headphones to friends. I really do like Skullcandy and Sony as the particular model of headphones that I enjoy.

16. edgey

edgeyNew Member

Threads:
    I use over the ear headphones at home , Audiotechnica ATX-A700xs. At the gym I use viewsonics VSD1s (IEMs).
    I used to buy really crappy headphones. Like $25 dollar ones but they tend to break after a few months of regular use. I musta gone through 4-5 pairs, all over the ear and all different brands under $50. Then I bought the Audiotechnicas 3 years ago and they're still going strong.
    The IEMs I got because my headphones kept falling out when I was running. Got a decent pair although the cord a tiny bit short. They fit pretty well though and never fall out now :D

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly still prefer Apple iPhones, the ones that comes with the phone/ipods. I don't know, I'm a huge Apple fan so I pretty much use their products as much as i can. lol The headphones are good anyways and for me, it does gives off a high quality sound. The price is reasonable too so I'm totally fine with it.

#17Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually used to prefer the headphones that are most commonly referred to as earphones these days. I don't know; the music always just seemed more intimate and louder. That was perhaps because they were wedged right into my ear. But these days, I much more prefer headphones that are high quality - like some of the posters above. By high quality, I mean the headphones that are not too bassy and not too less bassy. I produce music, so they have to be right as far as how they feedback frequencies to me. The brighter frequencies cannot be too bright or harsh on the ear either, as I have noticed is the case with many headphones.

19. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    I own some cheap A4Tech headphones that need to be changed soon as they are starting to function incorrectly sometimes. I am not into pricey peripherals but if I'd buy some good headsets for gaming, especially for Counter Strike Global Offensive. For music, this are good as well, but they don't have a good sound isolation and nor they have such a good bass.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer using over-the-ear bluetooth headphones for the wireless connectivity. I use three different pairs of headphones for three separate purposes at the moment. They offer great sound, feature no wires, and have long range to move around the house when necessary. Over-the-ear headphones also provide the best sound quality, which I find important when viewing videos or playing games.