What are your favorite pizza toppings?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pennylane • Sep 11, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Lately I've been making my own dough and tomato sauce for pizzas. They taste so much better than delivery pizzas! It's also very cheap. I use a no-knead dough recipe that requires mixing in the morning, letting it sit/rise when I go to work, and baking at night. It's easy as...well, pie.

I bake the pizzas in my cast iron for a crunchy pan fried dough. Try it if you haven't!

I'm looking for new topping recommendations--what do you like on your pizza pies?

2. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    Having a fresh dough base definitely makes the pizza taste better, that's why places that used bases that have been frozen before never tastes as good as ones that you make yourself or ones that are freshly made to order in a supermarket (only if they make the dough daily). For my pizzas, I like it when there is pepperoni, spicy beef, ham, onions, and mushrooms.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I am a meat lover. So a deep dish meat lovers pizza makes me wet my bed.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    If I eat out at Pizza Hut,then I will nearly always have pepperoni, spicy beef and jalapenos. I also love a Margherita if it is on the buffet there. A more 'upmarket' pizza topping that I like is goat's cheese and spinach. I prefer a deep pan to a thin crust and I will not buy a frozen pizza because I think they taste of cardboard.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Due to my husband's diet, he has to limit the amount of tomatoes/tomato sauce he has, so we experiment with a lot of different sauces. Garlic & herb, herb pesto, alfredo and similar sauces. As far as other toppings, I prefer vegetables more than he does- baby spinach, black bean salsa, peppers, artichokes. He's more of a carnivore and so we almost always have some kind meat...Canadian bacon and chicken are his favorites. Breakfast pizza and seafood pizza is always a nice twist, too.

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my gosh! I love pizza! I will eat pizza daily! My favorite pizza toppings are definitely Ham and Pineapples. I love it! my Pizza stores in my country normally have little variances in toppings such as a topping they call "supreme", which comprises of sweet pepper, onion, mushroom, ground beef and cheese with chicken. That is good too but it just cannot match up with the all time favorite..ham and pineapples! :) Come to think of it, pineapples go well with anything, don't they? think about it, pineapples with..chicken, burger, salad, juice, even Ice cream! so it is no wonder that when you combine the most illustrious fast food..pizza! with one of the most loved fruits;pineapples! you get an amazing taste. Ham rules! no wonder we only eat Ham in such large quantities only in December, they can't have such glorious food as Ham being eaten everyday! It's just the way it is! Ham and Pineapples are beautifully married, have a try! :p

7. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I love bacon and egg pizza topping. I don't really know too many people that have tried it, but it is really good. I like to use a basic tomato and garlic sauce for the base, then add some diced bacon, tomato and scrambled egg with cheese on the top. The egg is a bit runny, so you need to strategically build a wall of bacon to stop it running past the crust. Try it and thank me later!

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    expert, I haven't had a ham and pineapple pizza when I was a kid! :) I'm not sure if I'd like it a much now but I'm going to try it again soon. I might be surprised.

frogurt, I like breakfast pizza too. I have made one before with a thin layer of sausage gravy as 'sauce' and egg and cheese on top. It was very tasty. Your way sounds delicious too. I will keep it in mind for brunch next weekend, thanks.

All of this pizza talk has my stomach growling tonight! I'm going to make one for dinner tomorrow.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like meat on pizza ,so I usually get all the meats, from meatball to bacon on one pizza. When I make pizza at home, I add as many different meats as I can find.
    I'm not a fan of veggies on pizza and I especially hate onion pizzas. I can't even eat a slice of pizza that onions have touched.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Italian sausage would be my favorite, although, it's not really all that good for me on piZza on its own. It's great when it's accompanied by many other different meat products and vegetables, but it remains my favorite part of the pizza toppings I always get. Sometimes I could do without it if I get barbecue flavor pizza which just has bacon and onions but I always go back to my favorite.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use to do this a lot as a teenager. I keep telling myself I am going to return to making my own pizza again. It was really easy too and I got into doing it after taking home economics class during my freshmen year in high school. You should try onions and mushrooms for toppings. Onions always give a great flavor to almost any food and I am obsess with mushrooms. My love for mushrooms happen by accident when a restaurant accidently added this ingredient to a veggie burger I ordered. I don't like mushrooms, raw by itself. It has to be sauté mushrooms, usually with onions adding the flavor.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love pizzas! Whoever invented this should be called a true hero. Anyway, I like different things on my pizza. I love mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, salami, anchovies, pineapples, hams, pepperonis... I actually love everything! When I order a pizza, I always add more toppings. :D

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Actually a convenient thread because I've just started trying to make my own homemade pizzas with the dough and sauce they sell at trader Joe's and have had a good experience with it. Saves money, is healthier because I know the ingredients I'm putting in the pizza, and it's fun to experiment with different toppings to see how the affect the flavor of the pizza.

My all-time favorite though has to be Meat-Lovers, hands down. I can't remember a time when eating a meat-lovers pizza that I was disappointed with how it tasted.

14. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    thejamal if you like making your own pizzas you should consider making your own dough if you want to save money. The trader joes dough is cheap but making it is even cheaper. Yeast is around 20 cents a packet (a packet will make 2 pies for me) and a bag of flour is cheap as well. You only need yeast, flour, salt, water, and oil. The recipe I use only requires mixing the ingredients, covering with plastic wrap, and letting it sit all day. I do it before work and it's ready when I come home.

I agree with most of the comments here that I don't like onions on my pizzas. The only exception is if it's a BBQ chicken type pizza and has caramelized sweet onions on them.