Public spaces maintenance

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In front of my building there is a small "garden" that is maintained (or not, like is the actual case) by the first floor neighbors. As one of those died and the flat is now empty that garden has turned into a small forest. I am trying to contact city services to see who can maintain that public place after all, but no one seems to care. How does this work in your area?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We have the same type of 'gardens' in front of apartment buildings here too. Those spaces are not maintained by the city administration and instead some people living there, usually a family from the first floors, take care of cleaning and planting decoration plants or vegetables. If the administration doesn't clean the 'garden' you can either talk with the other people living in the building and collect some money to pay someone to clean the land or you can talk with the others and do it yourself (if you so wish).

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that the best way to go about this would be to contact the building owner or your resident manager/office. If it's not being maintained it looks bad for the building so they'll probably want to fix it quickly. If you're not interested and the people currently in charge are too busy maybe they could hire out and have someone come bi-weekly.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well... I am the administration lol. It's just a building of six and no one seems to care, especially because the first floor neighbor died a couple of years ago and no one is living there. The city administration said they won't help, so we will have to pay someone to clean a public space, that's the city I am living in.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience that would be something for administration at the apartment to handle...after all, more than likely if it's so close that it could be managed by the residents, than it is probably on their property and not just city property. If that isn't the case, though, it could be tricky as it might fall under the category of things that no one really wants to devote any energy to.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's rather dubious if it's public or private property to be honest, but yes, it's not such a big expense so we are going to pay it ourselves. It makes me a little mad though, because in 2004 we had an offer from the city to do the maintenance and one of my crazy neighbors who were in the administration at the time refused for reasons I don't know and never commented with us.