What Do You Think Of Apple Watch?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Sep 11, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    apple-watch.PNG

[video=youtube_share;ktujsc4ZUTo]http://youtu.be/ktujsc4ZUTo[/video]

Apple just announced their smart watch a few days ago and I would like to hear our members' thoughts on it.

I've already seen many comments online calling it ugly and I've also seen some who thought it looked kind of nice but that was about the extent of it. I personally think it does look alright but I have a bit of reservation towards it's interface because the circular menu buttons don't really look appealing to me. Otherwise the physical design does look good to me and it looks like an Apple product, but I'm probably going to wait a generation or two before I get one because I'm betting they would look and work even better.

Also, the features are kind of underwhelming to me, like being able to send drawings and emoticons, but it may change my mind once I get to try it out. The health features, I honestly am not that interested in, but it's at least something that other smart watches don't offer and it does still seem useful.

What do you guys think of Apple Watch?

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was about to come here and make this exact thread lol! :) I think that Apple might have nailed it again because the watch looks stunning. We don't know yet the battery duration and the price is relatively high, but I bet that the orders for sales in 2015 will skyrocket because Apple has a huge user base.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wasn't impressed by smartwatches and I probably won't be impressed with the Apple watch either. I'm not somebody who likes to use watches. I prefer my wrist to be bare and free of any accessories.

Besides, the functions of the Apple Watch are just scaled down features of the Iphone.

If you don't have a watch and you want something to put in your wrist, then the Apple watch could be a pretty good purchase. But so would be the other smartwatches out there. If not, then save your money and purchase something else.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not sure if I would purchase a smartwatch. A little too much of a science fiction idea for me.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not impressed at all by this. I mean sure it's a great addition to the Apple products but it's really not that great if you think about it and the price tag doesn't help either.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I thought the concept for wearable tech was the future, turns out it's not. Not yet at least. I mean the iWatch, I'm sorry the Apple Watch I think is pretty good but it's kind of late, even the iPhone 6 is pretty late. And with a price tag of $350, no thanks.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I feel the same way about it. If I had that much spare money then I'd probably get it just to have it as a fun toy, but as for a practical purchase, I think I'd hold off. The features aren't as good as I hoped they would be, and maybe in their future generations it would be improved, but the way they are now is not too impressive to me.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been a fan of smartwatches because the features that they offer can be done by phones and pc's nowadays, so no need for that tiny and expensive thing. Unless, of course you can afford it and you truly want to buy it. Not for me, though. You can get a good desktop or laptop with $350 already.

9. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    One of the few new technologies I have no use for. I already have something that does all these things; it is called my Iphone. Don't understand the purpose of this really unless you don't have a smartphone but I bet this is even more expensive than a smartphone?

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea, good looking design - but I don't think I'll ever own a smart watch, Apple or not, anytime soon. I already own a smartphone and that alone covers all the ground I need. As for watches, I like mechanical ones, a lot. I like to hear the ticking noise and I love to know that inside it there's little gears that make everything work. So why pay a fortune on new Apple tech? :eek:

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Not interested at all. I do not want to be constantly connected to the internet and all that. It's really quite ridiculous in my opinion. It's like taking the smart devises to a level where they start controlling you, by your consent perhaps, but still. It is also likely to keep you exposed to radiation for long periods of time because unlike a phone, you can't put it in your purse of backpack to get it away from your body.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not interested to buy an Apple Watch. I don't think that it will be affordable, and I don't see the point. Besides, there are many thieves and snatchers in the city, so wearing one will just equate to tempting them to steal it. :p

13. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not impressed by this at all. If you wanted something similar you could just carry around your smartphone and wear a watch. I really don't understand the hype about the whole thing.. It just seems kind of stupid and like a waste of money.

14. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Clearly, watches in general are slowly beginning to make a comeback on the wrist of those who seek to give their spiffy look a compliment. I've seen Kevin Hart sporting a very extravagant watch the other day on his Instagram page. But on topic, smartwatches are not going to put the nail in the coffin for smartphones. Many people don't see the benefit of it when it's tiny, it can only perform half the functions of a phone and would rather stick to their phone to do all their activities.

I own the Galaxy Gear that Samsung released before this Apple Watch that Apple is putting out and I enjoy the convenience it brings personally. But hopefully it will grow an appeal to a broader niche audience that not only wants to wear the style, but have the tech that can serve as the perfect smartphone companion, independent notifier and a secondary back-up phone in case of emergencies.

15. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like the apple watch. I feel like you can just buy an apple nano and buy the watch attachment.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly? It's a completely worthless thing. And yes, I may be a little biased, since I absolutely loathe anything made by Apple (seriously, the only product worth anything they released in years was iPhone, and even that is absolutely useless unless you want to buy a new phone every year or so), but I see absolutely no use for this. The last thing I need is a "smart" watch.. there's a reason I'm not wearing one to begin with. :)

17. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm interested in seeing the final product, but I'd rather have a watch that isn't so dependent on one type of phone. I prefer being able to switch up various gadgets in my workflow, that's why I'm not jumping at anything that is exclusively Android Wear either.

18. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Smartphones are exactly what happened to watches in general. Smartphones came in and dominated the way of not just finding out the time, but also giving the ability to users to perform various activities on it, rendering watches practically useless to most people. The only true and exclusive purpose it can have now is style and fashion. But then here comes smartwatches. At least if development continues, it may have more of a use than people give normal watches credit for. To each their own on this one though.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd argue that watches died way before smartphones. Once the mobile phone market was affordable to everyone (around early 2000s, maybe even very late 90s), everyone I know stopped wearing watches because it was always just more comfortable to look at your phone. It was around that time that watches became mostly luxury/style/prestige item, as you say.. at least where I live. :)

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the Apple watch looks cool and it's very creative but... it's not as useful as my laptop or smartphone. I mean, it's a pretty redundant invention. There's already a smartphone which can sometimes take on the job of a computer and answers your on-the-go communication needs. What do you do with a smart watch? It's basically just a miniature version of a cellphone except that you place it on your wrist and its main function is to keep track of time.