Apps that control things

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Peninha • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are already quite a few apps that control things in the real life. For example, we have seen apps that control the lighting and temperature The House, apps that control some functions of our car and so on. Do you use some of those apps? Do you think they have a future or they are just a temporary thing?

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen quite a few apps that do this, but I simply don't see the need for them at all.
    In the time that it would take me to get my phone to control these devices, I could just go up to them and do it myself, even remotely it seems like it's not too useful, what would I need to control at home while I'm at work, maybe turn the AC on for my pets?

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used any apps like that, but I know they exist. I'm not sure if I am going to ever use those, it's kind of dangerous to have apps that control things inside of your house. Who's to guarantee that it cannot hack into your security system or something like that? I think it's better to just use regular remote controls.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that we are still in the stone age for this, but just figure, you're about to get home, you pick up the phone and you open the door, turn the lights on, the TV or computer and so on and on, not bad eh?

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    The only app like that I've used is recently is one for iOS called HippoVNC. What this does is it lets you control your pc remotely. It has a virtual pad reminiscent of what laptops use, and when you need to write you just switch it to keyboard mode. I usually use it when I'm feeling lazy, or as a remote when I'm hooking up my pc to the television.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    The only apps that I have used was one to control my laptop and one that I can use as a remote to my TV. In the home I live in, we are always loosing the remote to the TV so I downloaded the app because I always have my phone with me. I think that these apps have a future because with technology steady increasing, I think that every thing will be controlled by cellphones.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is just an example how things can be in the future LuckyGirl08. So you lose the remote and you download an app to the phone, great! I also have on my phone an app that allows me to call local numbers for free and I imagine that there are tons of these apps available already.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Apps that control things in real life definitely have a future! If I can have my remote control for my television and my a/c remote control and the radio remote, light remote and car remote on my phone I would be a VERY happy customer. It's not called lazy, it's called quickness your life with technology, I have a flashlight on my phone and that actually saves me from going out to actually buy a flashlight, and the good thing about the flashlight on my phone is that I don't have to physically go out an buy batteries, I simply charge my phone, I also have radio apps on my phone, so I don't really have to go turn on my stereo in my house if I'm next to my phone, so I'm just giving examples of how good apps that can do things or substitute for things in real life can benefit you. I support apps that can control things, that's technology!

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen a couple of these and I use some as well. My favorite as of now is a remote app to control my iTunes on my laptop so I could use my tabLet or remote to control the music in my laptop that is connected to the house speakers. I've also seen some more intricate ones designed specifically for more powerful sound systems and I hope to someday be able to test those out.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd love to have a remote at my place that would control everything, I mean, some sort of device that could enable me to put all my digital devices at home to work. If I had a remote on my car that would be great too. :)

11. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen couple of hardware ion the making at Kickstarter, but I don't know how much time it's going to take before any such thing ever ships to India.

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen a lot of these things, well, similar anyway and they seem really futuristic to me and what things are going to come down to. I mean, they're fine, but I personally don't like them just because I'd end up losing the device that controls those things and I'd be out of luck

13. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using two apps on my smartphone that allow me to control my TV and the other gives me the privilege to control my Xbox 350. They are called Watch On and Xbox 360 Smartglass respectively. They are great for use when the batteries in the main remotes go dead, giving me a back-up controller.

14. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Those kinds of apps are used at some public places and some offices. They definitely have a place in our future, but we also need to develop their uses and get used to using them in our present. Some apps that do not directly control things have already been in control of our decisions, like the health app installed in our iPhones with iOS8. There would be some changes in our everyday activity, obviously, and results may vary. We could be exercising more or devoting less time to exercise. We would be adding these details and analyzing our data, being part of experiments, making decisions based on them.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So this is pretty cool, I don't have such an apps to control the TV, but maybe I'll look something like that up. I do have an app that controls the line I use to make calls, so I can make calls from my cell like if it was from the landline, at the same price.

16. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    The only one I ever use is one that controls the TV. Then again, the only time I use it is when I can't find the remote control!

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, so that's not bad even so. :) Either cases I think that this is a trend that it's just starting, the time for a lot of remotes will end or any remote at all, in a near future we might buy a TV and they give us a link to install an app to control it.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love phones that come with IR blasters so that you can control your televisions and monitors. I've used AirDroid to control my phone from my desktop or laptop computer, which is very convenient when your phone isn't necessarily right next to you. There are tons of other apps that I've used to control other things with varying results. I liked some of them and hated others, depending upon how well they did what they were supposed to do.