Wal-Mart needs a discount card

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by milyjohnson • Sep 11, 2014.

1. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    Wal-Mart needs to have a discount card for their store. A lot of stores offer you discount cards where you can save money on the things you buy. Wal-Mart needs to that too so customers can save money. I spend a lot of money when I am there and would like to use the card in order to save money. Does anyone else wish Wal-Mart would offer a discount card? Do you spend a lot of money when you go shopping there?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Lmao this is funny because I have a discount card. I'm an employee and have been for 6 years. I honestly don't see them branching out and offering a discount card to the public. They already match all the local stores and their discount card prices. I price match anytime I can plus use alot of coupons. I average pretty good with my discount, price matches and coupons.

3. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    LOL that is funny. So they offer discount cards to employees? That's good. I don't think they will offer it anytime soon either. I don't go overboard spending money, but it would be nice to get a deal on the things I do buy. :) Some things are cheaper than they are at other stores, which is a good thing. My mother uses coupons there all of the time. I need to do that too. I could only imagine how much money I could save if I did use coupons.

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Some sites actually give out Walmart gift cards if you are a loyal visitor. I personally don't use Walmart much, because Target is closer to my house. Target always has good deals and plenty of discounted items.

5. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Some things are cheaper, but if you are going to coupon it is almost always better to shop at other stores. WalMart doesn't price match everything. They have a lot of exclusions. And other stores do things like double or triple coupons. I shop usually at Schnucks and I try to save at least 50%. I don't think I could save 50% at Walmart. But I also pretty much only buy things on sale that I have coupons for.

6. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    @wulfman - I didn't know they gave cards to loyal visitors. I go there all of the time so I need to see if I can get a card. WalMart is closer to where I live, which is why I go there. I go to Target too, but not as much as WalMart.

@sthrngypsy - Thanks for the advice on where to use the coupons. I thought WalMart did price match things. I never did that, but I heard that they did. It would be good if they did double and triple coupons. I never heard of Schnucks. I'm not sure if that store is in New Jersey.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although almost every store offers reward cards, I don't see Walmart doing it because they already have Walmart Savings Catcher and Price Matching.
    Plus they already have pretty low prices. I'd love a discount card, but I don't think they'll offer one because they already offer a couple of ways to save.

8. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    Wow I really thought they offer discount cards. Not only to employees. I usually don't go to Walmart though.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart has no incentive to offer discount cards to the general public. Employees receive 10% off on most purchases, minus food for most of the year, unless that's been added in since I left a year ago. The company already offers the lowest prices in most markets for comparable items, and they'd only be undercutting themselves by offering a loyalty card. Grocers offer these cards because they often have higher prices on their products to begin with.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think discount cards are on the way out. They are an archaic way of tracking an individuals purchases, before modern technology came up with more efficient methods. They could simply get people to install apps on their phones that track when they come and go from the store and tie all their purchases back to them. The card was just there to have your own personal ID number on it for their outdated registers to scan into their outdated database and point of sale systems. There are already stores and restaurants where you can place your purchase online, then when you arrive at the store to pick up your order, it automatically detects your presence and charges your checking account. I think PayPal is one of the companies offering this technology.

The concept behind the loyalty cards was to gather more individualized shopping data on their customers, so they could better market to them in a more cost efficient manner. There's the story in the news recently how Target was able to determine one of their customers was likely pregnant based on her shopping habits and started sending her coupons for baby products before she had shared it with her family and friends.

11. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't realize they kept track of your purchases through the cards. That does explain some things. I have a lot of discount cards for different stores that aren't that high priced. Big Lots for example has inexpensive stuff, but they offer a discount card. Now that it was mentioned that they are keeping track of the purchases, I guess that explains why they stress that you use the card. They do offer sales for it, which isn't a problem for me.