What is the best cat litter to get rid of bad smells?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Frogurt • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I've tried a few different types and it seems that the crystals work best at getting rid of the smells. I always scoop out the poop and any other bits I can, but there is still that lingering smell to deal with.

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have a small apartment and one cat. Ive tried many different types with varying results. My favorite so far is tidy cat's small space formula. I'm not sure what is different between that and the regular tidy cat kind but it does make a difference with reducing smells.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I like the crystals too but SO expensive. I really like Costco's litter. Of course it comes in a humungous box but when you have as many cats as I do you need it. They add lemongrass to it and it smells really good. You can add baking soda to your litter box to help with smells, and of course scoop as often as possible. More than once per day if you can.

4. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Have you ever tried a hooded cat litter box with a filter. I use to have to keep an older cat separate from two young cats so she could slowly graze on her food (otherwise the other two ate it!). We kept her in a smaller part of the house and got her a hood cat tray and it helped to keep the smell away but it really smelt very bad when you lifted the hood. It basically kept all the bad smells inside the hood.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The kitty litter that I used to buy in the past, was made from recycled paper. It worked really well, as long as you emptied the litter box on a daily basis and rinsed it out with hot water. The good thing about it was that I was able to use the litter in my garden compost, where it quickly broke down and served as fertilizer for my plants.

6. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I use some that has arm and hammer in it for multiple cats only that I have one. It works pretty good as long as I scoop the box everyday. I never thought about using the small space kind but I might now since I moved to a little apartment which is a small space.

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I'm so glad you asked this question. This is a problem we have had for years. We currently have 2 cats and have been going back and forth with litters and still can't seem to find something that we like. We used to use your traditional litter ( clumping clay type) but it was a constant battle with the cats tracking it all over the house. I found myself sweeping all the time! We then switched to the paper pellet litter, although it didn't track in the house, it smelled really bad even with scooping the poop out all the time. We are now going to try the crystal cat litter starting today. I have heard it works really well and most people like it. I know it is more expensive but we're going to give it a try and see. I will let you all know how we like it in a few weeks. Maybe it will be our new favorite!!
    Danyel :)

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    [video=youtube_share;u7iUjX8AxVQ]http://youtu.be/u7iUjX8AxVQ[/video]

I just found this recently and it seems like a good solution although I haven't really gotten to try it out myself. I've seen a video on YouTube giving it a good review, as well as some of the few minor problems you might encounter. It seems like a good solution since you could flush away the litter instantly and you don't even have to mess with it any further other than pushing a button to flush it away, but the downside that I heard from the review was that it was a bit expensive at around $200 and the artificial litter sometimes would spill over onto the floor, which I think could be solved by buying the additional dome attachment.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use litter for our cats. We use wood pellets you can get at hardware stores for super cheap. 6 dollars here for a 40lb bag. I have 5 cats, so we absolutely need something that works. We have found the crystals and these wood pellets to work the best, but since I want a chemical free option for them to put their little paws in, we opt for the pellets only now and they work great! They absorb everything like you wouldn't believe and make scooping simple too. Can't beat the price either. Another thing to pay attention to is your kitty box itself. They absorb smells too and they can get quite funky. So if you think you just can't get rid of the smell, maybe it's time to change the box as well.

10. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    It's expensive on the front end, but saves money in the long run: Blue Buffalo. We have to buy it because my kitty has sinus issues and reacts to the dust from clay litters. He's also afraid of the crystals. Blue Buffalo makes their litter from walnut shaving. It's easy to scoop and lasts a long time.