Are plants an important part of your work space?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Frogurt • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I've read before that plants in the office help with create a relaxing and productive environment. I tend to kill any living plants, but I usually have one or two that I replace after I over water them. I can't do the plastic ones though. Does it help you to have some greenery in the office?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I've read somewhere that having plants in your office does increase your productivity in the office. I think it has something to do with the green color and maybe the oxygen. But it does help you relax a bit.

3. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see that much improvement in my end when it comes to productivity, I have a lot of potted plants in my table. I guess they're really handy when it comes to relaxing because you can stare at them for a while and the color helps your eyes adjust I guess.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the first time I'm hearing about being productive being linked with plants in your office. Currently I don't work in an office but where I work I am surrounded by plants but have never noticed that I work harder or better because of them. Or could be I just took it [my productivity] for granted? I don't know. But come to think of it, if the plants were to suddenly die I'd definitely notice the difference and try to replace them. Like I said, I didn't know the psychology behind it all.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really... I work in a place where there is a carpet on the whole floor, no windows that open, and air conditioner all day long. There are not and never been any plants around. It's sad, but no plants would survive in that environment, so I got used to not having them around.

6. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    At work no because I am in a busy office environment but at home my wife is an avid gardener. And the lady that lives next door to me makes a living growing bonsai plants and selling them to people. So on my floor they are everywhere. I don't mind it because plants purify the air we breathe but sometimes its like walking through a forest to get to my apartment. One is a widow and uses the apartment floor as her own personal garden because we all live in apartments and don't have the luxury of a real garden.

7. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I wonder if plastic plants would have a positive effect, because you can get some amazing fake plants.

is an article discussing productivity improvements related to plants. I also think art, colour, entertainment, windows, lighting, and a lot of other aspects can improve productivity.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I too remember reading studies that showed how having plants around in an office environment (and not only) is increasing productivity. Never had them at work, so I can't really tell. But I bought a few to place here and there in my house and I do feel good when seeing them. If that affected my productivity, I can't really tell - if you're lazy, not even an army of plants (read forest) can help you out :p

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, they are not part of my work space. What I want my work space to be is to be as spacious as possible. So basically, it has to have just few things inside it. I feel the same with my table, so I just can't put the plant, no matter how small they may be on my table. Besides, my work room rarely gets a sunlight needed for the plant to grow and flourish. Even if I like to have, it still wouldn't work, because it just can't survive my place. So, overall, it's not a necessity. Some people put it, because they feel like so, for aesthetic I think for some. But for me, neither for aesthetic or for need that I would put a plant in my work area.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having plants in my environment is important to me. Having a plant or two in my work space help me to relax or give me a more comforting feeling. I can say that having a plant in my space makes me more productive not having the plant a would make me more unproductive because I would be looking for the plant to add to my space.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    No, plants aren't in my work area as a decoration. However, I do work in retail and we sell plants like crazy. I've heard that plants in the work area does bring forth a more relaxable environment. They provide oxygen and with oxygen, we tend to just function better, overall. I personally can't keep a flower alive for the life of me. I have never understood why.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I think so. I need to have a type of plant somewhere where I can see them when I work. It's more to do with the fact that it provides oxygen during the day. I find that not only is the oxygen useful, but the physical appearance of the plant can provide a significant boost in motivation. When I feel a bit drowsy, I would look at the greens and feel rejuvenated. It doesn't directly improve the work, but it brings down the tension for some people.

13. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Yes! I actually never expected plants to make my work life so much better. See, I work in a very cold office, so static builds up easily. This results in a lot of employees getting shocked when we touch each other. Then someone read that plants can help with this and it worked! So now everyone has a plant or two to 'discharge'.

Being able to touch other people without fear really boosted company morale, I think.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I like to have plants in my work space. To me, plants bring vibrancy to a space, especially if they are well-cared for and are therefore green (or whatever color the plant happens to be, because not all plants are green) and lush.
    I like to have my plants nicely kept when in a work space, not overgrown, or with dead leaves all over the plant. The plants need to be nicely trimmed, and in nice pots. They need to be well-placed, where they can be seen, but where they don't obstruct the work area.
    Fresh flowers are also important for me to have in my work space.

15. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I know some work environments allow you to have dogs too. I applied for a company that allowed dogs and they say it helps create a relaxing atmosphere in the workplace. Dogs do tend to relieve a lot of stress. I would've liked to have brought a dog to work, if I had one.

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have plants in my work environment, but if I was in an office I would sure want them. It makes the environment seem less sterile than boring office stuff. I think color makes a huge difference for people in general. Green is a very positive color and generally helps people feel calmer and more relaxed in their work space. They also help with indoor air quality, so if you have the opportunity to bring in some plants, I would say go for it absolutely.

17. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You can get a lamp and put a grow light bulb in it on your desk. It would allow the plant to get the light it needs to be happy. As for the air... the plants would help with the air quality because of the oxygen they excrete and clean the air of the carbon dioxide you excrete. Would make for a better working environment. You will be amazed at how many types of plants would thrive in the environment you described. I used to work in an office like what you described and my desk was covered in tropical plants.

Here are some links to 2 researches that had actually been conducted on plants effect on humans and 1 article in Psychology Today talking about it...

It has been scientifically proven that plants do communicate with their environment through both movement and secretion of chemicals. We do not actively notice them, but our brains do respond to them. If you are not receiving much benefit from the plant or plants in your environment then it could be that you do not have a positive relationship with your plant. I know that sounds funny, but plants are like any other species on the planet. You have to develop and maintain a positive relationship with your plant for it to get along with you. Check your plants placement... it may not be happy where it is. If allowed play soft gentle music to it,just place a small speaker next to the plant and put something soothing on that is barely audible to you so no one but you and the plant hear it. Spray water on its leaves everyday you come to work as a part of your prep routine. One squirt is enough. It wakes it up and develops a positive signal to the plant. Talk to it now and again... plants love the sound of human voices when it is soft and positive. They do respond. If you concentrate hard enough while you are talking you will notice their leaves start to turn and move towards you.

There is a lot of things you can do to gain benefit from your plants no matter where they are, you just have to be willing to put forth the effort like you would with any relationship.

Hope that helps!

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My work space is filled with all kinds of plants. I couldn't imagine it without them. I even talk to my potted friends. I have got herbs, flowers and even vegetables growing in my studio, such as cherry tomatoes and chilies. As I work with glass most of the time, I tend to keep my plants away from the areas where there is a lot of glass dust blowing around, but other than that, I have them everywhere else.

19. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that they are hugely important to my workspace -- but I certainly do enjoy the peace and ambiance they create in my office. I am a writer by trade and there are times that when I come up for air from a text -- looking at my plants will either calm me or trigger a thought process that leads me back to writing.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are important but not really all that necessary. It's good to have it just to bring some life in an office space and it's certainly very calming to have some real plants around you when you are in a stressful environment. I can't say I feel the same way about plastic plants though. I think those are just good for decoration but real plants are still the best for the full effect.