How often do you clean your shoes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Dora M • Sep 12, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit, I am a bit sloppy when it comes to cleaning my shoes. If they are dusty, I just rinse them under water and put them in the sun to dry. And in case they are muddy, I simply brush them down with soap and water. I don't bother much with applying any leather or canvas protection products. Preserving my shoes, isn't exactly on my high priority list. I simply buy new ones when the old ones are worn out.
    What kind of relationship do you have with your shoes?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Just like you I clean them often - clean shoes make you look better and last longer. Apart from this I'm not using other products since mostly I'm wearing skate shoes, not much else to do other than cleaning them. A while back, when I used to wear shiny leather shoes I would use polish to keep the leather smooth and nice looking. But I stopped wearing them because they didn't match my new attire and getting replacements was expensive.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don't clean it very often :/ I usually wipe it down if it gets dirty, but I don't like toss it in the washing machine or whatever to give it a deep clean. My mom used to do it a LOT but I hate the sound of the shoes banging around in the machines; makes me feel like they're breaking or something :(

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is probably going to sound gross but I never clean my shoes unless I step in dog poo or something. I don't think you have to clean your shoes much tbh. Any problems with shoes (at least that I have) are looking worn and you can't do anything about that.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm every week or so. I am very busy, and cleaning my shoes is something that I overlook most of the time. I wear mostly flat shoes to work, so I just dust them off before I leave. When I have the time though, I wash them thoroughly. They are not leather though, so that's okay. I guess. So far, my flats always last more than a year before they break.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't clean my shoes that often though but of course not unless they're really dirty. I clean them once a week but if they're really dirty and dingy I would wash them as soon as I got off of them

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I only polish them when I take them to the cobblers, so maybe twice a year : I really should buy my own, but like OP I often just rinse them under water or dust them down. Does a pretty good job but not quite as good as a fresh polish.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to my rubber shoes make it a habit to wash and brush them whenever I got them off most especially when I took a long walk or if I went to the gym that day.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not very good at cleaning shoes, when I lived with my mom she would clean them for me but I live by myself now and have no clue which shoes you can wash and which you can't... I have a bunch of shoes stocking up that I don't wear because they're dirty and I need to clean but don't know how to!!

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    There are also certain shoes that needs to be polished. I wear a lot of shoes that doesn't need to be polished so I never, if ever, polish my shoes.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dress shoes I do clean if they need to be cleaned when I am going out. Everyday shoes are not cleaned unless I stepped in some mud or worse. I try to keep my shoes in good repair, the heels are replaced when they get worn down not only because it looks bad but it hurts you back to wear worn shoes. The other thing you want to be aware of is the smell of your shoes, you can have stinky feet and still have your feet in your shoes.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How often you clean your shoes would depend on how many pairs you have and the kind of work you do. I have several pairs of leather boots which I wear around the farm. Since they are somewhat expensive to replace I have to take care of them so they can last forever if possible. So after wearing one pair [once] I'll clean up the boots, polish them and stuff them with paper so they can maintain their shape.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Shoes are the one clothing item I spend a lot of money on and take pride in, so I clean my shoes pretty regularly. I'll usually go through each month and clean my shoes and more than that if they got really dirty at some point.

Cleaning your shoes does help them last longer which does save money in the long run. Also doesn't hurt that clean shoes always make you look better!

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only clean my shoes if they're dusty or they look dirty, or if it has stepped on something gross. I don't really bother to wash them or apply various products to them to make them look shiny.

15. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly never clean my shoes unless I have to. I normally just wash them off with soap and water and call it a day. I do make sure that they look clean before I wear them.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually clean my shoes right after I get home. I hate seeing them dirty and have always like to keep them clean. That's why I have a good amount of shoes, because I try to take care of them. I think my oldest shoes were bought five or six years ago.

17. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    You are very honest, that's nice, for me, I don't like to see dirty shoes, I think they take away from your "look", I clean my shoes every week. I like feeling and looking my best.

18. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I clean them pretty often...the idea of walking around everywhere (especially with how much time I spend walking in general, especially outside) and not cleaning them just really grosses me out. Plus they look so much better when they're nice and clean.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never cleaned any of my shoes yet! Never, I know that i have to do some cleaning of them, but I am often just too lazy to do it, or rather there's really not a need for them, because my shoes rarely get that dirty. And like clothes, washing them will somehow make them more less durable, that if you do, you are speeding up their wearing out.

20. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with most of the people who have posted, I hardly ever clean my shoes, definitely not as much as I probably should. I'm really great at making sure boots (especially rubber) are clean as a whistle, but my dress shoes and especially less fancy shoes just get neglected. I wipe them down if I notice dust, but never really clean.