Starter brush and/or makeup for my mother

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by pennylane • Sep 13, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Hello all!

My mom's birthday is coming up. She has recently become very interested in the world of makeup. She loves watching makeup tutorials on the internet and is really interested in learning about the different kinds of formulas, foundations, blushes, brushes, etc. For her birthday I want to give her a set of makeup brushes. She currently only has 3 or 4 old brushes she's had for decades. Do you have any suggestions? She normally buys the cheapest kind from Walmart or drugstores. I have nothing against drug store brushes and I buy them myself but I want to treat her for her birthday. She is the type of person to never splurge or spend extra on herself even when she can afford to.

Do you have any suggestions? I've heard good things about a 'real technique brush kit.' Otherwise, I'm pretty hopeless. I'd love suggestions on brush kits or basic makeup kits. I want to surprise her for her birthday but I'm not an expert on the topic. Thank you!

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best brushes on a budget are e.l.f. without a doubt. You can buy a set or individual ones and you can find them at Target. I used to be a make-up artist and I think these are really good quality for the price. I would spend a bit more on a blending brush and they are still only $3. I have used really expensive brushes and they are worth it, but these brushes are easy to clean and give a good clear application. Sponge applicators always get worn out and tear, despite how much they cost and always need replacing. You can buy a nice cosmetic sponge too, which helps with blending. These are good basics to start with.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    thanks for the tips, theo! I had no idea elf brushes were so affordable. I'll look for them at the store today. I've heard about blender sponges too but I haven't used one myself. Are they as good as the hype? I guess I'll find out :) Can't hurt to include one in the package. Thank you!

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hum... Don't buy ELF brushes for your mom as a gift, like someone suggested! I wouldn't... The Real Techniques brushes are relatively affordable and you can buy them at Ulta, they are excellent. You could also find a nice kit at Sephora. There are some bad ones so look carefully, but some are pretty great quality.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You will be surprised what professional make-up artists (I have worked with many and have friends who are) will recommend and think are good. Not only product wise, but also in regards to accessories. Sephora I do not personally recommend anything of their own brand as they aren't as good quality for the price paid. I have used and bought professional brushes only available at wholesale places, and for a beginner I consider e.l.f. a good starter set.

It's not only the brushes, but if you know how to use them and I used to have to teach people. You can have the best brush or foundation in the world, but is useless if you don't have the skill to use them.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with purchasing e.l.f products. Though they are considered as drugstore brands, the quality of their accessories and make-up are really good. You'll be surprised at how close the color schemes are between e.l.f. and MAC. Their products are also hypoallergenic. Also, just because something is expensive doesn't mean that it is good for the skin. Believe me. I am a make-up afficionado, and I think I have almost tried anything.