Upgrading your laptop's parts or buying a new PC?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Sep 14, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    So I have a laptop which is almost 3 years of age now. It's still pretty fast and smooth, no major flaws expect for the grills in heat sink being all broken but other than that it's still pretty good. I was about to upgrade my hard drive and bu some more RAM for the laptop and I wondered, would it be worth to upgrade this laptop still or would it serve me more if I buy a new PC instead? What are your thoughts on this?

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on your use. If I were you I'd go for the new PC. Laptops can be upgraded but unlike PC's they have restrictions. As for now, if you're laptop seems to be doing fine at the moment then go for the upgrade but once it hits the point that upgrades won't cut them anymore then you might want to consider the new PC.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Upgrading the laptop would be cheaper. Buying a new PC, even low end, is more expensive than buying a new HDD and some RAM for the laptop. On the other hand, a 3 years old laptop how long is gonna last if we think about the future? Maybe buying a new, more powerful PC is the better idea if you have the cash available. With such a purchase you won't have problems or need upgrades for non hardware intensive tasks for the years to come.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think my laptop would last about an extra year or two but that's with a few problems along the way I'm pretty sure of it. As of now I do have some spare to cash in for a new PC but I'm kind of holding back and possible get some more cash so I can build a beast machine. So I'll upgrade my laptop first, settle for cheap and wait a few years and then go for the new PC. Right?

5. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    Buying a new PC would be a good option here, your laptop is getting older and older, say, for example, you managed to get it fix, later on the parts are gonna be broken again and you will be back with this issue. Buy a new PC, It will save you headaches, and it is much faster and efficient.

6. MindTheGap

MindTheGapNew Member

Threads:
    If it is not broke then don't fix it :) I took my notebook to a place where they took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly and even re-did the thermal paste for the CPU. If your Laptop/Notebook is an intel I suggest running a program called RealTemp. Mine is always below 50c unless I do some really processor intensive work. My laptop is now 2 years old and I feel that by just watching the temperatures and taking better care of the laptop that it will last me better than previous laptops.

Make sure your Windows is 64 bit before upgrading the memory, hit start --> right click on my Computer --> Properties.

Look at system type. It should say 64-bit Operating System.

Hope this helps.

7. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Laptop versus PC is an issue of mobility for me. A laptop at the same price as a PC is going to have less performance, however your laptop will have the bonus of being portable. Have you considered that you might like the best of both worlds? Your three year old laptop, even without upgrades, will continue to serve for those times you need word processing and internet browsing on the go. You then purchase a PC for higher performance and storage of all your important information.

8. elbycap

elbycapNew Member

Threads:
    Hi Ya,
    It seems like everything is outdated within 2 weeks of purchasing. RRRR! One upgrade is fine, but after that wipe it clean and bless someone else with it. Your new amazing laptop already has your name on it.
    Be well!!

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on your actual laptop model. If it's easy to upgrade, then you're going to save some money with ease. Most laptops are difficult to upgrade, though, because the parts are all proprietary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The upgrades you purchase for a laptop might not all fit nicely in the case, which means you can't make those parts work. Some companies make it easier than others to upgrade laptops, but you're usually out of luck.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am definitely going for the upgrade, but like troutski says, it depends on the model. If it's just a matter of adding RAM memory it can be really cheap when we buy second hand memory, it worked for me.