Making your own dog treats?

Discussion in Pets started by Frogurt • Sep 15, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Has anybody tried making their own dog treats to save money? They are really expensive to buy and don't seem very healthy for them when you read the ingredients. A lot of them are really high in salt and fat which I know isn't very good for them. A friend gave me this recipe to make your own and dogs love them, not to mention they are cheap and save you money!

• Mix 1 tbsp cornflour and 1/2 cup of water.
    • Add to regular 300g tin/wet food.
    • Roll into a small balls and press them flat like a cookie.
    • Place on baking tray.
    • Bake 160C for 15 minutes
    • Let them cool and store in an air tight container.

If you have any other great ideas please share!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here is another link that lists 10 homemade organic dog food:

As for me, we only feed our dog table food, so I haven't tried making my own dog food yet.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I have never considered making my own dog treats before! I would definitely be interested if they are healthy. It would be nice to save money on dog treats every week too. I will check out some of these recipes. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a big batch one weekend. Has anybody else tried this? Were you successful?

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I want to give my senior dog something special besides his usual dog food, but he doesn't like dog treats that are really hard and dry, because he's old and has worn down teeth.
    So I think this recipe for doggie meatloaf ,or "muttloaf" is a great idea that's nutritionally balanced and easy on the old boy's teeth.

Here's the link to the recipe and a pic.

5. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    I like the freezing sliced bananas and using them as doggy treats, especially during all the heat in the summer. Your dog will love them!

6. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I made some treats for my dog, but she didn't really like them all that well so I gave them to my grandmothers dogs and they absolutely love them. I completely forgot about making my own dog treats and now that I have a couple of new puppies, when I get home, I think I'm going to try making them some, because they always want something to snack on. I'm going to look for a couple more recipes, that way they have some variety.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds amazing! I'm not the best cook, so I never tried making my own dog treats but I'm seriously thinking I should try, as dog treats are getting expensive, not to mention they are not very healthy for our dogs. I think all of the condiments, dyes and pigments with which they make dog treats can't be a good thing!

8. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I never give my any treat that involves sugar or salt, especially table scraps and left overs. The only treat I give my pure breed dog is pieces of raw meat, either pork or beef.