How much do you spend on groceries per week per person in your house?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by pennylane • Sep 15, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to adjust my budget and wanted to get some input from everyone. You can give a monthly estimate if you wish. Just be sure to include how many it feeds. Thanks!

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend and I spend about 300 per month on food. We're trying to bring it down to 250 though. Keep in mind we live in California and it's a more expensive part of California, where a gallon of milk was recently listed at about $4 and ground beef is anywhere between $6-$20 depending on the pound you get.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I spend just for myself. I spend $10 for myself every week. I am not a heavy eater. I spend all those money on foods, and I think that it's already quite big. I am initially set to do a grocery every week, but sometimes, I wouldn't go until the middle of the following week because I still have a lot of food reserve that I could eat.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I spend about 400.00/month on food. That means 50.00 per person per week. It sounds like a lot now that I put it down in writing. I wonder if I can't budget better. This includes household items like cleaning supplies, soaps, and shampoo's. Everything we buy at the grocery store is under our monthly budget. If we have extra at the end of the month, it is usually enough for us to go out and have a meal at a nice restaurant. We try to make ourselves wait for the end of the month to see if we have extra before eating out. This helps our weight as well as our budget.

5. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on what's on sale during the week, groceries for two can cost up to $40-50 per week. I try to save as much as possible by looking for buy one get one deals and similar sales such as 'two for five dollars' and others of the like. Groceries can get more expensive if I buy in bulk in a store such as Sam's Club, but they last longer so it's more reasonable.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in Latin America, my partner and I spend around $25 per week on food. Back in Australia it's a lot more. The price of groceries in Australia is ridiculously high. The cheapest and best way to shop there is at farmer's markets. Here it's similar, but there is no such setup as a regular market. People bring fresh produce from their farms and set up their fruit and vegetable carts wherever they can around town.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    There are 6 of us in my house and I usually spend around £90 (150USD). This works out at about £15 per person per week. However, this can vary and not all is spent on food. I have two children in nappies and general household things are included in this cost.