How often do you redecorate your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by pennylane • Sep 15, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I feel my house is in need of an update. I've had the same furniture and colors for years. I've been itching for certain rooms to have new looks. How often do you switch things up around your home or apartment?

Where do you go for ideas?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I moved into my apartment 8 months ago, and it's not really done, so I'm not ready to redecorate. I just want to finish decorating.
    I don't go anywhere in particular for ideas because I see ideas everywhere. After seeing an electronic dance music video with a lot of creepy trees, I started collecting paintings and photos of birch trees.
    After seeing an old photo of a hippie's apartment with a lot of plants, I started collecting houseplants. After watching Black Jesus on Adult Swim, I bought some vegetable plants for my small outdoor area.

Think about what you've seen recently that made you feel inspired and excited. It can be a color, a movie, a song, anything. Try to bring that into your home.
    The cheapest things to change are the wall color and accessories, so start there.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the home redecoration I do comes in the form of wall paint. I can't really afford new furniture right now so once per year I repaint most of the walls. It's not that expensive once you learn how to do the work yourself. Apart from this I change the paintings/wall decorations and that's enough to give my house a different look and air. Changing the furniture would be better, but alas, there's no money available.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I am always in the process of redecorating at least one room in my home, because I do it all myself to save money so it takes a fair amount of time from start to finish. I aim to do two rooms each year, one in Spring and one in Summer, and then wait for a little while before starting the next one. By the time every room in the house has been done, the one that was done first needs doing again! I will tidy everything out, then move and throw out the furniture, strip the wallpaper, tidy again, put new paper up and do some painting, then buy (and build) the new furniture. It's all good fun and gives me something to do, but it's very rare that there is a moment when my house is all in order without something or other being done to it!

5. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't redecorate very often. I usually get a room the way that I like it and it stays that way until we move. I do tend to move around a lot every couple of years or so do to my husband so I guess I redecorate every couple of years. I usually just buy little odds and ends things that tie the room together, and maybe paint. I cant afford to get new furniture unless the old ones are worn out.

6. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Last year I had a two bedroom extension built. I also extended the bathroom into the existing back bedroom and then extended that bedroom backwards. As a result of this work, every single room in the house had to be redecorated. We only have the hallway and kitchen left to do. When that is finished, I will be so fed up of decorating that I won't be doing it again for many years. My sister-in-law decorates her whole house every two years.