Do you usually drink alcohol?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Sep 15, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a party this weekend and everyone was drinking beer, most likely because it's the cheapest, but at a certain time of the night we started to drink some shots, that are ridiculously expensive considering the amount of drink in that glass. What do you usually drink? What drinks to you think are more economic?

2. vij

vijNew Member

Threads:
    I am not much of a drinker and when I drink I usually only have one peg of whisky or vodka. I have noticed that drinking removes my inhibitions and I get to be more of a happy, fun and outgoing person under the influence of even a little alcohol. So I use it when I need it.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I just drink water. Joking aside though, I never really drink alcohol that much when I'm at parties I usually go for the lighter ones which is beer for the most part. But when I'm alone and if I want to get buzzed before I go to bed (bad idea) I usually down some brandy with ice.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been drinking alcohol for a long timel, so I probably save a lot of money in comparison to most of my friends, who like to drink regularly. In my youth, when I worked in the hospitality industry, I was often invited to free drinks and parties. So, even in those days I didn't have to pay much for alcohol. But I quickly got out of the habit of drinking when I noticed that I was starting to develop a taste for it.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I only drink once or twice a year and usually on special occasions like Christmas or New Year's. The few times that I do drink I prefer some kind of champagne or a relatively sweet drink where the alcohol is barely noticeable. My favorite drink is by far Bailey's and I pretty much ask for one every time I drink if they have it. I don't like the taste of beer, so I stay away from it.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get drunk very easily so any drink would be economic to me, really. I favor hard drinks over beer though but any of them are good as long as I take it in moderation. I honestly don't like the feeling of being drunk, but feeling tipsy is good for me. I don't drink that often nowadays because I don't enjoy it that much, but whenever I go out to clubs or spend some time at a friends house I'd always drink a glass or two of any alcoholic drink they have.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink at all. Why?

Alcohol is what destroyed my family. Having an alcoholic for a parent is hell. When I finally got free, I vowed never to touch an alcoholic drink. At that time it's the effects of the drinking [what it could do to families] that had me quit. I now realize that if I hadn't quit drinking, I wouldn't be saving much money right now and probably I wouldn't be as happy as I am.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Beer is my drink of choice. It's cheap like you mentioned and you can drink quite a bit before getting buzzed, excellent for long parties where you want to socialize. But that's just parties, at home I keep no alcohol and I rarely go to bars/clubs. And you mentioned shots, yeah, those are crazy expensive - you're better off buying a bottle from the supermarket to drink at home with friends.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Oh boy. I am a woman who cannot hold her liquor. As my boyfriend would say, I'm a lightweight. I absolutely hate the taste of beer so much. I remember when I was a child, my aunt had a small gathering at my parents' home. All the adults were downstairs and I was upstairs with my dolls. When everyone went outside onto the porch, I came downstairs to get something and came across the beer on the table. I started taking sips from the can and thought the taste was like wet socks. Did I stop? Nope. I kept taking more sips until I woke up the next day with a horrible headache. I swear on my life, I didn't touch alcohol again until I was 23 and had strawberry margaritas at a friend's party. Needless to say, I am very careful with alcohol. The memory of the headache - or hangover - as a child is as vivid as yesterday for me.

10. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I drink on far too regular a basis. I really need to cut down. Plus, we don't have a lot of money right now and this is definitely a way I could cut back on expenses. My tipple is generally red wine. I never go out drinking though, it is more that my partner and I share a bottle of wine in the evening when we are watching the television.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I really only drink when I'm at a party or occassionally hanging out with some friends and watching a game or something.So because it's something I really don't do all that often, I don't really mind spending extra for Beer I actually like or maybe a more expensive mixed drink at a bar or something. For me, having one really good Stella Artois is worth FAR more than have 3 Coors or Bud lights.

12. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like to have some wine with dinner or a couple of beers. I drink more in social situations on the weekend if there is something going on. I've moved past my cheap beer days though. These days I have enough to buy what I want. Those pbr memories can stay in college :D As for liquor I like gin and tonics every once in a while or some nice whiskey on the rocks. I don't keep much stocked up in my house though as I'm the only one who drinks it.

13. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I hardly drink alcohol now a days, but last night I got trashed off of filipino red horse beer. That thing creeps up on you and kicks your ass.

14. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Is red horse a brand? what is it like? I've never heard of it before!

15. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a drinker actually. I do enjoy an occasional glass of wine but that's about it really. I have tried beer and other alcoholic drinks but just can't seem to get a taste for it. Wine is usually pretty inexpensive, especially if you purchase it from a membership store like Sam's Club or B.J'S. I guess it's a good thing. I know when you go out drinks at a bar are crazy expensive! :( geesh!

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely drink alcohol, even less when it comes to hard liquor like vodka or scotch.
    I don't like the taste of beer either so when I go out I usually have a couple of ciders, depending on what's available where I'm at.
    I haven't had a shot in years but they are very effective if all you're looking for is getting wasted.

17. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It's a very rare occasion that I drink at all...seriously, I wouldn't even call it "social drinking", maybe a few times a year if that. So I don't necessarily have a "usual" and I drink rarely enough that I feel okay going with something a little more expensive. I'd rather have something I actually *want* to drink and enjoy somewhat, versus just choking down the most 'economical' option (light beer anyone? lol no thanks). Certainly there are plenty of options for cheap beer and wine though, as far as saving money.

18. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I only drink on occassion. Sometimes when we have a home movie to watch, we buy some cocktails and chips. On parties, I only drink max of 2 servings and I'm done. If white wine is served, I only have one. It's enough to make me tipsy and I don't know why.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a very seasoned drinker - no I'm not proud of it - but it's just the truth. I can easily drink almost an entire liter of whatever liquor in one evening. I usually stick to rum or vodka. When I am at home and drinking, I just drink until I get tired and want to go to bed. Unfortunately, on some evenings, my tolerance is way too high and that urge to hit the sack doesn't come as soon as it should.

I don't really consider beer to be much cheaper if you are looking to get a buzz on. It's usually only around 5% alcohol, which barely does anything to me, unless I drank a bunch of them back to back. By then I would be bloated as heck, and needing to hit the bathroom every few minutes. I can buy an entire bottle of a cheap liquor for under $8 and get a way better buzz for my buck than a cheap bottle of wine or several cans of beer.

Gone are the days though of me buying top shelf liquor considering the way my friends and I drink - I'm not spending $20-$40 for a bottle of some liquor when I can get it's cheaper counterpart for a fraction of the price. There are actually some bottom shelf brands which aren't bad at all. Plus many of them are made by the same companies that make the bigger more expensive brands. A lot of the price difference is simply due to the branding itself, rather than it being a much higher quality liquor.

20. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you get drunk easily it's because you don't drink often, that is the same case with me, I might drink 3 or 4 times per year, so whenever I drink I get almost immediately a little dizzy. I am sorry to hear about your family Denis, alcohol is a really dangerous substance when consumed in excess...