Do you wear clothes according to your body type?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 15, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Do you our your spouse wear clothes according to his/her body type? For example, a full waist woman is said to look better in an empire waist dress. A Pear Shape woman is said to look better in an A-line dress. Triangular shaped women can pull off a halter dress better than others. And rectangular shaped can wear a semi-fitted piece. Only the Marilyn Monroe hourglass shape is said to be able to wear a fitted dress and have it come off stunning. What about you? Any tips to wearing clothes according to your body type?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I basically wear any clothes that are within the reach of my hands, even when they are not really mine. It's not really important whether they fit well on me. The only thing that I am after for is that they won't make me look crazy or funny!

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Not at all. I'm a big women, fat and pear shaped. A lot of the rules about "flattering" clothes are about hiding your body, your perceived flaws. But I'm not ashamed of my body so why try to hide it, it's not like people can't see that I'm fat. So I brake the "rules" all the time and wear what I feel comfortable in. I wear skinny jeans and those are a big no no for both plus size and pear shapes. I wear tight pencil skirts and bodycon dresses, but also the more flattering a lines and empires. I wear horizontal stripes sometimes. Basically I just wear what I want. I think the way to pull it off is to have confidence in yourself. For me the way I see it I look fat (because I am) no matter what I wear so I might as well wear something that I love and feel great vs something that makes me feel frumpy.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think so...at least not what the general advice would be. I just go with what I find flattering and reasonably comfortable, but it's not always in line with what people might say "fits" my general body type.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I try to wear what I like, and if it fits my body shape cool but if it doesn't I'm not going to worry about it. Like another poster mentioned, a lot of these "what fits your body size" is basically telling people with larger bodies to hid themselves behind clothes. It's not like people can't see that I'm a bigger size.

I wear what makes ME feel comfortable and what makes ME happy. If a dress that shows my jiggly arms but makes me happy, I'm gonna wear it.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear what looks and feels good on me. I have never really given my figure much thought. I just go by feeling. I think that most of the time the clothes I wear suit me well. And if I wear something that doesn't really go all that well with my skinny physique, my partner sure doesn't hold back with commenting on it. But I only ever nod to his suggestions. Basically, I wear whatever makes me feel comfortable.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the past, when designs and types of clothes weren't as varied and as creative as they are today, I had to wear clothes in accordance with body type. I wasn't into super tight jeans and body-hugging shirts. I like it better when your skin has more breathing room and doesn't feel too choked. However, nowadays, fashion has experienced a big boom. New designs have cropped up here and there. So even clothes that don't really flatter your body would actually make you look good and sophisticated. I particularly like drawstring-tunic dresses that could be worn by women of various sizes. They don't hug the body, but they're really comfy and make women appear elegant.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Of course. I do not want to wear clothes that will not complement my body type. I always check websites such as Pinterest for outfits that will fit me. Then, I try to look for almost the same ones at the mall. :)

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, but comfort comes first. You wear it and if it doesn't look right then I think how I can adapt it, say if a top is too low cut, then I wear a cardigan over it. Sometimes you see people wearing the wrong thing for their body shape, but there are no rules, the fashion police don't arrest people, so if someone who wears tight leggings with bulges, if she's comfortable then fine. Personally I wouldn't but if people are confident enough, they can carry anything off, even if it doesn't suit their body type.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I sure do, definitely! I am a bit on the larger side so I wouldn't like to scare people, :D. I think some clothes shouldn't even be made in certain sizes because women buy them thinking they look lovely, when really we are all sat or stood there thinking, OMG! Buy a mirror!!

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't learned the science of it, but I have learned the types of clothes that fit me well over the years, and I mostly just stick within those guidelines. I also tend to fluctuate a bit in weight so I'm pretty much used to having to deal with a bit of chunk at times and I know how to disguise or compliment it to an extent. For the most part, though, I just have a few select items that I know how to combine and mix even though I don't really know what experts would say or recommend further.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only wear clothes that suit me and will look good on me, although I have come across the info that you mentioned before, I really don't follow it. I think it can be fussy if you will look for clothes that supposedly look good on you rather than just fitting whatever you like.

13. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I try to! I wear things that I think would flattery my body type because I have larger hips so I look for things that won't cling to me and will rest well against my body.

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I know that fashion experts say that we all should abide by this to look our best but I just don't find that true all of the time. I am small and only 5 feet tall so shopping can be a challenge for me to begin with. I never can find pants to actually fit my height and tops are always way too wide in the shoulders. :(

The way I see it is... if I like it and it fits and it looks good I buy it !!! As long as I feel good in it, that's all that matters to me. :)

Danyel :)

15. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I like that theory. But my problem is I don't have good taste! My friends have constantly corrected my fashion choices for years. I like wearing what is comfortable, but even if I try to wear what I think is in fashion, I often mix and match to the point that no one can even tell that I tried. I am at a loss and as I get older, I seem to be getting worse. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my own fashion sense and I was thinking maybe if I followed some guidelines it would help. But all these posts have been really helpful too. Thanks! :)

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Technically, I do not wear clothes to suite my body type, I wear clothes to hide my body type. I know that I could be very attractive, and I don't like that, I don't want the attention especially from guys as I am not available. I wear baggy clothes a lot, or bulky sweaters in the winter that hide my shape so you wouldn't know if I looked good or not. The only time I let people see more of my shape is when I am at ballet, but that's a whole different thing and there are many much prettier women there to look at.

17. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I am a guy with a simple wardrobe. If it is not too big in size, then I am sure that it will fit. I do not understand how my body type should dress, but it really does not matter. I can fit into things that I want and that is the important thing. For a woman, it just seems to be that way. I would not care much for the way someone dressed. I do know that there are ways to make you appear slimmer of taller.

18. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    Yes. I do wear clothes that is for my body type. I have a more of a big athletic build and I am tall therefor I purchase clothing that fits my body. I buy shirts that read 2 XLT meaning 2 X L Tall for a taller person. And my pants length is much longer than an prson with average height. But every once in a while you will see people out in public who do not adjust the size acording to their body. Smaller shirts and pants for a larger person is considered to be a tacky look. But if that person wants to wear it, then wear it. It will just be a tad bit uncomfortable.

19. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I am very insecure about my body weight. I have gained about 10 pounds since I have been dumped a few months ago. I need to regain my motivation to get back on track.

20. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I DEFINITELY wear clothes according to my body type. I have an hour glass shape and I try to wear clothing that's tighter at the waist, such as shirts that come with elastic belts, or patterns that shrink at the waist. Doing this gives emphasis on my figure and makes my stomach look smaller and the 'good parts' look better! All around a good combination.