Which Toys Might Harm Your Kid?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 16, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    In 2012, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that 265,000 kids in the US had suffered toy-related injuries, and as a result, were rushed to the emergency room.

Have you ever thought that the toys you let your kids play with, could harm them?

Some of these notoriously hazardous toys include: Marbles, balloons, and even small balls (usually toys that have parts that can easily fit into the mouths of our children, and which can result in choking and/or suffocation).

Which toys do you know of that are dangerous for kids? Do you think they really are dangerous?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I think Loom bands are a potentially dangerous toy. I have four children. The oldest two, aged 15 and 9, love Loom bands. As a result, my house is covered in them. They are all over the place. I have two younger children aged 3 and 16 months. I worry about them choking on the bands or getting them wrapped around their fingers and cutting off the circulation. Other toys I worry about are lego, hot wheel cars and anything else with small parts.

3. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thanks for your response! But thanks, more importantly, for your concern. Many persons don't see the need to be concerned about what kind of toys their kids play with, but look at the statistics! It wouldn't be so bad if so many kids weren't already victims of hazardous toys being caught in their throats, and them having to be rushed to the ER!
    Our children are our future; how could we not "go the extra mile" so as to ensure their safety and care?! I am so glad that you are aware of the toys that your children currently have that pose a threat, and I am happy that you are taking measures to ensure that they aren't left alone with such toys, understand that these toys shouldn't be played with in certain ways, and always have a "play-partner", say, in the person of their older sibling, or even you .
    Continue to do the great job that you are doing. It's really great that your kids can feel safe at all times. All the best.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm very careful with toy selection when picking out something to give my nephews and nieces. I always try to find things without any loose parts as much as possible and I research them online thoroughly before making the purchase. Also, there are age recommendations that come with each toy so I mostly just follow that too. Lego and any other similar toys with loose parts are what I look out for the most. Giving them new toys isn't as important to me as keeping them safe.

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I really do appreciate your perspective, DrRipley. It shows how much you truly do care for your loved ones, and it truly warms my heart that there are people out there who are like you indeed!
    Often, adults think that the most important thing in "gift-giving" to kids, is to...give them the toys that they want, and not necessarily the toys that are safest for them, and have passed the most toy-safety regulations, all in an effort to be "the favorite mom, dad, or relative".
    You're right: we should value the safety of our kids, over just trying to get them a gift. It's important that, by doing this, we in turn, teach them the value of ensuring that they are safe at all times.
    Keep up what you're doing, because your nieces and nephews are very blessed to have you!

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Back then I remember there were these toys that were like Legos, but they made of magnets. I remember reading a story about a little boy dying since he swallowed a tiny magnet ball. I feel like toys are actually lowering on a gift list since children are really more focused on electronic devices these days.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it. I try my best. I'd just like to add that I also tend to buy from big name brands when it comes to toys for the children in my family, because that way I could be assured of the quality a lot more as the big companies have much more to live up to just to protect their name, whereas the no name companies - while they might still have a decent product, still at the end of the day will have less to live up to than their larger counterparts so it might be safer to go for the tried and tested brands.

8. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Very interesting and accurate perspective, Servace! I definitely have to agree with what you've said! I'm disheartened to hear of that story of the youngster who was killed because he swallowed a tiny magnet ball, and I really do wish that that tragedy could have been prevented.
    As regards the modernization of toys, I definitely have to share what you have said once more, because I do agree that children on a whole tend not to go for the "conventional" toys of old, like the Legos and such, for which we had to "worry" about the tiny parts and hazardous implications. They really are far more "into" the more technologically advanced devices, which comes with them being "born into the tech-savvy age", and so, being "swayed" towards a liking of those objects and fascinations.
    Frankly, I hope that this is for the better: at least we don't have the small toy parts to worry about as much, although there are the younger ones who will always love such toys; but for the majority of this "new generation", they'll opt for the cell phone or the computer etc, it's just that we have to now monitor their intake on the Internet, as although it's filled with a wide variety of benefits, the sexual predators, and other "corrupt" information and sources, are still prowling around, in search of our precious children.