How often do you wash the dishes?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All of us wash dishes, maybe except the ones that have a dishwasher, but every since I have kids I wash more and more. How often do you wash dishes? Is it a task that it's just your or everyone around The House helps?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh the dish purgatory...seriously among my very least favorite of the chores. I try to hand wash and rinse them as they're used (though that seriously doesn't always happen) and then run the dishwasher every other day or so. That'd be the ideal schedule, but a lot of the time it isn't the ideal that I'm working with. My husband and son help out with them, and as my husband has chores he hates much more than dishes, we'll often take the chores that the other hates. So it's not all bad ;).

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Like JessiFox. I try to do it as it happens. Sometimes I'll do it at night last thing before I go to bed. Sometimes in the morning, and sometimes a massive mountain just piles up over time :) I don't use a dishwasher though so it takes more time. I've never found them to be worth it, you always have to pick the odd bit off making them basically redundant.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I usually wash dishes two to three times a day. My husband loves to cook so he always tends to mess up a lot of dishes. If he sees a recipe that he wants to try then he will go in the kitchen and do it. Sometimes I try to wash the dishes as soon as they get messed up or my husband washes them once he is finished messing up my kitchen.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I hate doing dishes. It feels like a never ending task. I have to do it at least 3 times a day but I rather do smaller batches because I have a small kitchen and sink so if it gets too full it's almost impossible to use. Also I don't have much cookware so I need to clean them before being able to prepare the next meal.

6. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    We are a family of four, so I try to do the dishes twice a day to keep from getting overwhelmed. I do the dishes once after lunch and then again after dinner. We have a dishwasher, though, so that helps a great deal. Some of the dishes need to be washed by hand and those are the absolute bane of my existence. (That and and folding laundry).

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Once I finished eating I go to the sink, take out the sponge and just wash it all. I hate having to leave dishes in the sink even though I live alone which is kind of the point since I live alone and I produce so little dishes to clean so why not just wash it once I'm done and just move on.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash the dishes every day. I only skip days that I am extremely tired. However, as I live by myself I don't have a lot of dishes accumulating on my sink. Therefore once a day is enough.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have a dishwasher so we do it three times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's good that my kids can already help out with this chore. This gives me more time to do the other never ending task of laundry!

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always wash the dishes within an hour of eating, as we currently live in a small place and don't like any kind of mess to accumulate.
    My partner and I both work in several different jobs, so we take it in turns with the dishes and other household chores. I feel rather fortunate to have a partner who is so conscious about every domestic aspect and loves to be busy around the house.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I hate plies of dishes and I don't have a dishwasher so every time I finish eating I just wash it by hand ASAP. I can understand if there are a lot to be washed it's really a pain but if you're only going to clean up a plate, fork, spoon and a glass then why would you let it sit?

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hahaha. This is the dreaded house chore. We never had a dishwasher, so we washed dishes the traditional way. Because I am the youngest, I never really had this chore. Also, when it's my turn, I would just ask my mom or dad to wash the dishes for me. I guess that that is one of the perks of being the youngest. :p

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to let them pile in the sink a few years back but then I decided to get some order in my life and now I wash them as soon as I finish eating/cooking. There's no point really in forming a pile of dishes - more time involved when you decide to wash and depending on how long they stay dirty you get the smell. I wash by hand, no money or space for a dishwasher, and I learned to enjoy doing it.

14. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I use the Flylady system, so laundry and dishes -- the two biggest house-messer-uppers! -- are pretty much on autopilot for me. They're part of my morning routine and evening routine. In the morning I do a load of laundry and take the dishes from the night before out of the dishwasher and put them away. Sometime during the day I'll generally put the clothes in the dryer. At night I fill up the dishwasher and turn it on, then take the clothes out of the dryer, fold them, and put them away.

These are my daily rituals. I'm so used to them now that I find them comforting. No matter what else is happening, at least I know the laundry and dishes are taken care of.

15. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I wash them every day. A sink full of dishes drives me nuts. I prefer to do it while I'm cooking or right after to get it over with. Everyone pitches in around here. If they don't they don't get to eat! ;)

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I wash the dishes pretty much after every meal, so, three to four times a day. I usually just have to wash my plate and whatever I used to cook since I live alone. Even when there's other people over I just wash what's mine. I have a policy that everyone washes their own plate after they eat, it works better than having a ridiculous amounts of plates to wash on your own.

17. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We do have a dishwasher, but sometimes I would just rather do them by hand. Plus I'm not into wasting money and if the dishwasher isn't full I won't run it. If I'm doing dishes by hand, I wait until there are several in the sink before doing them. One at a time is a pain and a waste of time.

Danyel :)

18. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I can safely say that washing dishes is one of the tasks around the house that I hate the most. When I am by myself for a week they honestly might not get done at all. When I'm living with other people they get done every day. When you don't do them relatively fast they start to smell and the food is really hard to get off. I honestly miss the dishwasher we had but we cut it to be able to save a little bit on bills. We would load it over the course of two or three days and then just wash 2-3 times and they would be perfect.

19. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever wash dishes. I try to help my roommate so she doesn't do everything, but she doesn't allow a dish to sit in the sink more than 30 seconds before she jumps on it. She also washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher and washes them again. I truly don't understand people who do this - I mean, why wash them twice? But it is her house, her dishwasher and her dishes. If my dishwasher weren't getting the dishes clean I'd get another one, but that's just me.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, how lucky are you? I used to life with a girl that was a cleaning addict and I loved it because she could stand to see anything dirty, she cleaned it on the spot. Unfortunately now I am in a 50-50 cleaning relationship so a lot of the work is mine.