Anyone know the cheapest places to buy an internet domain?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Riggy • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Riggy

RiggyMember

Threads:
    Was just looking for a place where I could buy a cheap internet domain or if there are any places like that. I'm a complete noobie when it comes like this so I dunno if I'm even making any sense here.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't care about what suffix you have, you can often get them for free. Belgium used to give them out (.be domains) for free for a brief period. Things like .co.nr are also common. although it is not a TLD (top level domain)

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Most hosts will have deals for the first year. You can easily get one for $.99 or $2.99 for the first year from places like GoDaddy and BlueHost.

Beware, though. The renewal cost is where they'll get you, so be sure to check out the prices for the second year and beyond before deciding.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It' going to depend on the domain extension you are interested in. Many ".com" domains are selling for 99 cents these days because there aren't really any good ones left. Full price is usually around $15 or so for a .com or comparable domain, but I would never pay that much for it for the first year. Spend a little time searching around for promo codes from the registrar you are interested in. I can guarantee you if you look around you will find 99 cent .com promo codes for GoDaddy. You may need to try out a few at the checkout before you find one that works though.

Also, be wary when checking out as they will try to upsell you on a bunch of other services such as domain privacy, in addition to auto suggesting that you purchase several years worth of registration up front. Read carefully through your order before placing. Also be aware many of these registrars set your domains up to auto-renew, and some of them such as Network Solutions (which I would avoid like the plague) try to auto renew you three months in advance of your domains expiration.

Some of the newer domain extensions to hit the market, such as .cheap and .insure are going for a lot more out of the gate. They are typically selling for around $35 to $70 for the first year. I just recently paid $199 for a "premium" .insure domain.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I actually got a lot of hassle from a domain provider. My card details had changed and they tried to collect on a domain I registered 2 years ago but has forgotten about. They started sending threatening letters in the post but eventually stopped. So beware.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on what you are after in the long run. If you are a newbie I'd suggest getting one of the free domain names .co.cc and free-hosting on blogger so you can get a feel of what it's like to publish your stuff on the net without spending any money.

But if you just have to get a .com domain name then there's some other registrar which charges 99 cents for a domain name — 1&1. But their customer service is atrocious. For a buck I you shouldn't expect much from them.