Pure natural peanut butter

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Frogurt • Sep 18, 2014.

1. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Have you tried pure natural peanut butter, by which I mean just crushed peanuts with nothing added. Generally the store bought peanut butters have palm oil, salt, sugar, preservatives, and other things added. I get mine freshly made at the local health food shop where they make it to order. It is actually cheaper than store bought peanut butter, and it tastes way better. It is a little more oily and I find it is fantastic to cook with, especially satay sauces. Has anybody else tried pure peanut butter? Do you prefer it? Is it available where you are?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been buying natural, organic peanut butter from health food stores for many years. They have three different types here: crunchy, medium crunchy and smooth. I like them all. I am often amazed that there are people who have never tasted simple peanut butter, but only the highly processed stuff with all the additives. For them the natural variety is a totally new experience.

3. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I find it is a totally different mouth-feel, in a good way. I love that it is freshly made to order! You can request smooth or crunch too. I'm not sure if my local health food shop is organic nuts, but I assume it would be.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    It's my first time to learn about pure natural peanut butter and I'm really interested in trying out one. But sadly, I don't think it's available in our local supermarkets. :(

My family loves peanut butter spread and we usually buy home-made ones as those available in supermarkets have so much oil in it. But of course, there's the thick kind with almost no oil but it's really expensive. I wonder if anyone here have tried making it themselves? :confused: I think I will start doing my research about it. :D

5. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Natural" peanut butter is loosely defined as a product that does not contain partially hydrogenated oil, the trans fat-laden ingredient that makes classic peanut butter so silky smooth. In a perfect world, natural peanut butter would contain only peanuts and salt, but in reality the formula has been tinkered with a bit.

"Natural" peanut butter has been pushed by marketers over the past decade to accomodate America's sudden hyper-awareness of trans fats. Though most brands (such as Jif and Skippy) have recently eliminated trans fats by now using fully hydrogenated oils instead of partially hydrogenated oils in their classic recipe, they're also pushing "natural" brands for the more health-conscious consumer.

6. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. But you can get pure peanut butter, which is 100% roasted peanuts. My local health food shop makes it to order, so you can see them put in the peanuts and grind them to either crunch or smooth consistency. You can even bring your own jar! You pay by weight and it works out a bit cheaper than store bought peanut butter.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Freshly ground peanut butter is my favorite. I find the main brands like Jiff are too sweet for my tastes. I don't like added sugar or honey ... it's sweet enough on its own. I like getting it freshly made so I know other ingredients are hiding in there like oils that you mentioned. If you haven't tried it I suggest giving it a whirl! You might be surprised at how different it tastes.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know you could get it. I assumed you had to include palm oil etc. I've never seen it when out shopping but I certainly wouldn't be averse to trying it. Is it even easy to make yourself? because I always have a lot of peanuts at home.

9. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I have purchased it many times and my husband and I love it. The problem I have is our 4 kids don't like it at all. They won't even eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with it :( I have tried to use it in different ways with them and it is still a no go. So we buy both and I just have to take out both jars when I need too. :) No biggie, although I know the pure peanut butter is so much healthier. I am hoping in time they will learn to like it. We have Whole Foods here in Orlando so that's where I usually purchase it. We love peanut butter! :)

10. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that you could buy peanut butter naturally. The one I get contains the things added to it. If it tastes good and is cheaper than store bought peanut butter, I will consider buying it. It is always better to save money so I'm all for getting the natural kind of peanut butter.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pure peanut butter does taste good, and it's more versatile than traditional peanut butter. The thing about store bought peanut butters is that they're not nearly as healthy as the natural variants because they have all those added substances and they're often higher in calories. I prefer the taste of normal peanut butter, but I'll chalk that up to the added sugar and whatnot. Pure peanut butter is absolutely better in many ways, though.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do prefer it. I don't eat much of it, but I do like peanut sauces now.. fantastic. I went into a grocery store the other day (I don't do that often lol) and they had peanut butter from various brands that was 100% peanuts. I was happy to see that, even knowing their peanuts are probably doused in jet fuel or something lol.. and I'm more worried about molds and salmonella from factory peanut butters so I'll get them elsewhere. Tough not knowing what to trust these days, it's sad.

13. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    The "homemade" kind from stores takes a little getting used to. Because you expect the sugary made-in-a-lab flavor of commercial peanut butters, the first reaction to homemade peanut butter is usually not positive. But, once you take it home and force yourself to use it on everything, it starts to get better. I squeeze a little honey on top on sandwiches when I miss the sweetness of commercial peanut butters. I know this ups the calorie quotient, but at least it's healthier than the high-sugar content of Jif or Skippy.

14. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Smucker's sells pure natural peanut butter under the Smucker's name and the name Laura Scudder's . As far as l can tell, they are identical. There is also an "organic" version sold as Smucker's. They contain only peanut's and a trace of salt. They are delicious. The only way to get better would be to buy fresh peanuts, but that would be more expensive. I've priced both.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    There are a number of brands that sell this kind of peanut butter and I always think it is the very best. I usually buy Adams, they only add a little salt to the peanuts. Maranatha is another company that is actually in my town. I would buy their peanut butter all the time if I could afford it, but it is more expensive. There a couple others I can't remember the names of at the moment. There is also freshly ground peanut butter at one of the grocery stores in town. You get a container and hold it under the machine and it grinds however much peanut butter you wish to buy that time. That was the best peanut butter I have ever had, so fresh. But it cost about twice as much per pound as Adams so I couldn't afford to continue.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have eaten 2 types of peanut butter, one is like Jif Peanut Butter where it's a bit creamy, and Lydia's Peanut Butter where it's like an oily brown liquid. I guess that's the natural kind that you're referring to? If yes then I have to say that it tastes way better than the bland Jif.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've tried pure natural peanut butter. In fact, we have a local manufacturer of natural peanut butter products here in my region. The products are natural but it takes months before they expire. You know for a fact that they're natural because they secrete that oily substance, a common occurence for homemade peanut butter products.

18. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Huh. I think I'm one of the few who don't prefer all natural peanut butter. (^_^)/

I find that it isn't nearly as sweet, and I like my peanut butter sweet. :) These days, I buy all natural peanut butter, but when I make sandwiches with it, I drizzle a bit of honey or maple syrup on the bread too. :)

Maybe they don't like not-sweet peanut butter either? :) Try blending it with dark honey, I found that it makes it sweet in a very good way. :)