Best sport drinks and energizing items.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Servace • Sep 18, 2014.

1. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Hello, I am wondering what is the best item you can have before, during, and after to refuel ore receive energy during a physical activity. I play tennis and matches and practices go for at least four hours most of the time. I really need help in regaining energy especially during change overs within matches.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the specific sports drinks like Powerade/Gatorade. The thing I don't like about other drinks is that they have too much sugar, which just leads to a sugar crash later on. With Powerade and other drinks you get hydrated, you feel more alert and don't crash later on. However carbs are helpful so I would advise eating them too before your activity.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am not much of a fan of sports drink, hence, I have tried very few of them. I do not think it is really good for health. The one and only drink I have tried out is red bull, which tastes like cough syrup. I really think the energy drink do not actually give much energy to people. They might help in some cases, but not all the time.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I drink Gatorade - the blue one. Actually, I drink this, too when I am having LBM because oral rehydration salts don't really taste good. Anyway, I suggest that you do not rely on this all the time. Drinking water is still the best way to rehydrate yourself after working out.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I work out regularly and use protein shakes. If I don't work out and just run/bike I drink a sports drink. Mostly I try to drink as much water as I can to replenish my body and stay hydrated. If I wake up and feel especially dehydrated I'll drink some coconut water before drinking water. It tends to relieve any symptoms of feeling dehydrated.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest Gatorade as well if you want to regain your energy, but if you want to have added perkiness, then I suggest you look for Cobra, Sting, or El Lobo. They all taste good, and I drink them when I need to stay up longer than usual.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I make up a big sports bottle of lemonade and add some salt to it. I'm not a professional athlete. I managed to finish two of the slowest marathons on record this way, though. I just always crave lemonade when I am thirsty, and it's the salt that gets depleted. I carry pretzels and a banana for my long (more than ten miles) jogs and just keep them at a spot I will loop back by. Those energy packs always make my stomach queasy.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    A discussion on

made me think of this question, but I don't think anyone here will give any answer explaining 'why' they choose the energy-drink they prefer (nothing comparing it to others, anyway).

I expect people would say 'Gatorade': partly-because it combines the needed hydration with needed vitamins & minerals etc., but mostly because of the advertising (commercials in which sports-people are shown drinking it).

Powerade is good too.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this product is already overrated but Gatorade is about the only sports drink that I buy on a regular basis. I'm not fond of taking in energy drinks as they're usually full of caffeine (ten times more potent than regular coffee). The thing about Gatorade is that it doesn't force your system to feel energized. It just naturally restores the electrolytes you lost.

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Powerade and Gatorade. If find them refreshing plus I like the taste. Everytime I have a workout or even a simple exercise I always make sure that I have two bottles of Gatorate to hydrate myself. Here in the Philippines we have other energy drink brand such as Cobra and Sting.

11. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Coconut water is the best in my opinion, it's like natures gatorade, just make sure it's 100% natural coconut water, no added sugar. That's my favorite drink.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Berocca. It's a fizzy tablet that dissolves in water and has vitamins and guarana.
    One Berocca in the morning keeps me going all day.

13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I would love a version of Gatorade that had no sugar or fake sugar alternatives & just a natural fruit. I don't see why that wouldn't be utilized in football, basketball, soccer, etc. I understand the 'sugar is energy' idea. But it's short term energy. For a three hour football game I don't think it stands the test of time.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like Gatorade a lot. I remember the first time I heard of it I was extremely skeptical of them just putting color into water and calling it a day, but over the years I've gotten more and more convinced that it is very much different from water and I even prefer it now whenever I feel like I'm too dehydrated and need something that has a much faster effect.