Ticks and Fleas?

Discussion in Pets started by chiofthenorns • Sep 22, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed that our labrador has fleas and ticks recently. He is always groomed and his place is always cleaned up. So, I do not know why he suddenly have these critters on his body! I do not want our other dogs to have these, so I want to ask what is the best solution to this problem. Thank you so much!

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    The best thing in my opinion is any of the spotons (Revolution, Frontline, etc). You used to have to get these from the vet, but now you can get them without an RX. The cheapest place I have found to buy them is

It is in Australia but they ship quickly.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Fleas and ticks are common on dogs in the warmer months. I have tried shampoos and powders/sprays but they never work on my dogs. The best solution I've found is a pill from my vet. They work almost instantly and are worth every penny. Each pill is good for a month. Ask your vet about it!

4. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I use front line plus and it last for months. If I see my dog to start scratching again, thats when I know it's time for another treatment.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many ways you can get rid of ticks and fleas. However, a one-time treatment won't be effective because the fleas and ticks could all over the place [because the pet deposits them everywhere].

1) Flea and tick repellents will keep ticks and fleas off your pet.
    2) Clean the rooms or your home with a chemical solution that can kill both ticks and fleas to be rid of them forever.

Find out where the pet got the fleas from and clean that place thoroughly with the same [chemical] solution. I believe that would do the job.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I just scrubbed my little puppy with the following solution and it worked good, but I need to do it again:
    1 Cup Vineager
    2 Cup Water
    1 Cut dish soap
    2 oz. glycerine.
    Then, the next day I had some citronella/lemon grass oil that I mixed with water and just lightly combed through his coat. They were jumping off of him! This Friday I will wash him and let him sit in the water longer. You have to be careful not to let the vinegar get in their eyes though.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    After trying all the suggestions that the other members have posted and still nothing has worked, then I guess you should just try to visit a vet, he might give you a better solution for those ticks and fleas. As for me, I remember seeing a box of PetGuard and FrontLine here at home before. You might want to check those brands out.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My dog also has similar problems but I think it is mostly due to the weather over here. When the monsoon is here then my dog ends up with lotsbof fleas and ticks no matter how clean we keep them. Then I end up using a medicated shampoo to clean up my dog. But during the winter and the summer there would be absolutely no ticks on its body.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    After you get rid of the fleas on the dogs you want to make sure you clean your carpets and soft furniture. Fleas will bite you also and get into your beds and furniture.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You may need to bug bomb your house too, if you notice an infestation indoors. You definitely cannot be in your house when doing this, neither can your pets obviously.

I had to bug bomb my apartment a few years ago, because my parents brought one of our dogs over and she brought some unwanted "guests" along with her, lol. First I started noticing like one little flea in my apartment, and as soon as I would kill it, another one would appear. It was gross because they were landing in my drinks too. Then I started noticing them more and more, until one day I came home from work and they were all over my bathroom mirror. Bug spray wasn't doing anything to get rid of them, and they were getting worse, so I had to resort to the bug bombs.

I set off two of them, just before leaving for work, with the windows all closed and my air conditioner turned off. I could barely get out of my apartment fast enough because they really stink bad. Then when I got home, I almost suffocated while trying to run to my windows and open them. Seriously, be ready to make a mad dash, and get out of there asap. I had to leave and go run some errands while the windows were open to let the fresh air in. I also had my ceiling fans running too.

You'll need to do at least two treatments, two weeks apart, because even if you kill all the current flies, they are constantly laying eggs which can hatch a couple weeks later and start the problem all over. The bug bombs won't necessarily kill the ones that are still eggs.