Save those overripe bananas

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ragtimeannie • Sep 22, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I'll admit that whenever I buy bananas, I buy too many, on purpose, because I love frozen bananas.

Once your bananas start to get more ripe than your family will eat, cut them up into banana "coins" and freeze them in single-serving containers. Then whenever you want a sweet and healthy snack, all you have to do is grab your container and a fork. They are so good! I keep my frozen banana snacks in my freezer alongside my other favorite, frozen grapes.

The other thing I like to do with my frozen bananas is put them in my Kitchenaid mixer (a blender works well too) and mash them up until they're the consistency of ice cream. They taste amazing, exactly like the most decadent banana ice cream, and I don't even add sugar! The whole family loves this one. I find I need at least three bananas to make this work. One banana in the mixer will just wind up being warm banana soup.

banana ice cream.

Enjoy!

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I will have to try the banana 'ice cream' trick. Sounds delicious and healthy! When my bananas are getting over ripe I throw them in the freezer and save them for banana nut bread. I love making breads, especially banana ones. They are so good in the morning with a cup of coffee.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I will try the ice cream recipe, too. I do not like the taste of overripe bananas though because they make my jaws hurt for some reason. Still, because my nephew loves bananas and ice cream, maybe, I could do this one for him. :D

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice tip! I see some overripe bananas here every now and then. I will try putting it in the freezer to see if it will taste as good as the unfrozen bananas. I think putting them in the blender to make a banana shake is also a good idea.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually today, a neighbor had the audacity of giving me lots of ripe bananas which unless they are all eaten with 2 days would spoil.

Would you call it a coincidence to find exactly what would be helpful when you need that information? Like most of the other guys, I'm also going to try the banana ice cream thing and find out for myself how tasty it will be.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We eat banana ice cream a lot. We're not into dairy, so it's been an awesome alternative. You can do so much with it too, I've created many recipes with it. Many recipes with bananas in general actually, we love them here. We only eat bananas that are ripe and spotty, so they can spoil quite quickly around here; our freezer is pretty packed lol. If they're still yellow, they aren't as good for you. Which is convenient for us because with everyone preferring yellow, our bananas are much cheaper ;)

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice one! I also like using overripe bananas in home made ice creams. I put the bananas, along with cashew nuts, cinnamon and soy milk in the blender, and then stick the mixture in the freezer for a couple of hours. The result is absolutely delicious. I don't need to add any honey or other sweetener, as the ripe bananas are sweet enough. :)

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder why yellow bananas are not good for you? Is it that they become more nutritious when they fully ripen? I just found out I had been eating starfruit all wrong. I was buying and eating them when they were green, but they are not even ripe until they are yellow.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    That actually sounds pretty good. I always end up with a ton of brown bananas, and we're not really sure what do do with them beside throw them into a shake (which is a good idea) or throw them in the trash (less than optimal). I'd vouch for the banana ice cream thing, actually sounds appetizing and like a good use of the sad wilting things.

10. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Great tips here! I usually find my over ripe bananas in a homemade banana but bread or cupcakes. When it starts cooling down, I make up these breads/muffins and freeze until they get ate by the kids or myself.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Starchy, acidic. harder to digest. Fruits should be eaten at their fully ripest just before they go bad. The sugars and nutrients are at their peak. People freak out about the sugars thing, but these are great sugars. I eat a ton of fruit and have never gained weight from it. The exact opposite actually. So go out and save some money; buy spotty! :)

#11Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  12. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I never heard of this kind f recipe before but it sounds tasty. I will try this sometime when I buy more bananas. I don't really eat fruit too much which is kind of not so good for my health, mostly because I just forget to buy them, or when I do I forget to eat them. My body just doesn't crave them enough to draw my attention I guess :D. Anyway nice recipe, I'll try it sometime.

13. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    This is what we do as well. I love banana bread and muffins so I always hope that my kids don't eat the bananas quickly enough so my wife makes bread :)

The banana "ice cream" looks excellent, I will definitely be trying that.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried this ice cream trick and it it does look like it will taste great so I will be giving it a try. When bananas go overripe on me, I usually turn them into fruit shakes which I love, but I think making them into ice cream would be a great alternative as well since I'm not always in the mood for fruit shakes. I think it would be nice to put some whip cream or chocolate bits on it as well.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have an elderly neighbour who, for some reason, buys an entire mountain of fruit every week when she is at the supermarket even though she has nobody to give it to, but as a result she gives it to me. I eat a little, but actually throw the majority of it away because it goes bad to quickly before I manage to eat all of it. It is great to see this recipe, though. I make a lot of things like apple crumble/pie and will freeze those or give them as gifts to family, but it is great to see that I now have another thing to try which should mean that I don't have to throw as much away as I would have done in the past. I actually really like bananas, and it always pained my to have to get rid of them without actually being able to eat them!

16. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Since I am from the South, I am immediately looking for a way to disguise the health in everything. We fry our green beans with bacon, y'all, haha (not me, I'm vegetarian, but I'll bread 'um and throw 'um in the deep fryer in a heartbeat). I bet frozen bananas are easier to dip in chocolate! I love the ones at the store, but they are expensive and come with so much packaging. Chocolate covered bananas are less nutritious than plain bananas, but way more nutritious than Nutty Buddies.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I also love to eat banana a lot. I do not think it is very easy to store banana in a very long time and have a healthy diet. Bananas can be frozen, but the question is how healthy are these bananas. I think it is important that you take the necessary measures before thinking about starting the bananas.