Climate changes and clothing industry

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Gelsemium • Sep 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The climate is changing rapidly worldwide, the seasons have been all changed and sometimes we don't realize if we are in the summer, winter, spring or fall. The question I want to debate here is, how does this affect the clothing and fashion industry? Do you feel this makes a difference to them or people buy seasonal clothes anyway?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think this does affect sales because people tend to switch out their clothing. If I am still cold for example, and it is spring time, this means that the spring time fashion will be coming out but I won't feel like wearing it. I have had this happen before: it is spring time and I'm still in my wool sweaters. By the time spring is almost over, I just think 'ah, summer is right around the corner, I can make do.' That has got to affect the fashion industry and sales. That being said, spring and summer clothes are not that different to me. So by the time summer comes around, the spring stuff is on sale and I can scoop it all up. So bring on the weather changes! :)

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. I mean, the fashion industry is already used to the changing of seasons and tastes of people. This is why they already have different designs prepared in advance.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's psychological and the stores have to cater to what people want. Many people like to buy new clothes for their summer holidays, even if they have some to make it special, so if it's not that warm, people will still buy them for the event. One summer it was so cold, no one was buying as much so they had to put them on sale really early as they had too much stock.

I remember one autumn it was warm and the sale of winter coats was slow and no one needed them, so again the stores expecting a surge in sales had a flat couple of months before December and had to put items on sale. So the actual weather does make a difference to shoppers needs and buying habits.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    The fashion industry will continue to make sales whether or not there are climate changes. It is a reactive industry as well as an innovator of trends. They will do anything to make business. The designs adjust as the climates change. The old stocks may not sell as expected but they can still sell these at bargain prices or via online stores. The marketing department will always be able to think of ways to promote slow selling items.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The one thing I noticed, both for clothing industry and food industry as well, it's that it's really hard for them to advertise according to the seasons because seasons have become unpredictable. How many times have we seen them advertising for bathing suits of summer clothings while we are with out coats and umbrella because it's raining and cold?

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    To me I find this post funny, as a Floridian. It's either hot or raining so my wardrobe is typically similar until December or January when the cold finally hits. We rarely have seasonal climate changes.. though the clothes shown in stores change. Even if they still display short sleeves during Fall, the clothing styles fit a different color scheme to match the season or are of a different style type than that of summer. People like to follow certain moods and presets with different seasons and the fashion industry takes full advantage of it, which isn't a bad thing- people enjoy the change.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Where do you live dizzy? I wish I could say the same, more I wish I could live in a tropical country, but in fact, in the middle September until March/April we do have cold weather so I need to drastically change the way I dress. It's been harder and harder to predict, just today for example it will be 30ºC, the weather is insane.