New or Used Computers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by wvboarder • Sep 23, 2014.

1. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    When shopping for a new computer do you buy new or used? My laptop recently broke and I have checked out both local shops and corporate stores and the stores are a little bit more expensive. Is it worth paying more for a new one if the repair shops are charging 50 dollars less for practically the same thing? If you have had any bad experiences with either I'd love to know your take on it.

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the computer really but for the most part what I do is I try to find refurbished or used PC's and I just replace the parts that aren't going to make it that long. I once found a refurbished HP mobile workstation and it cost me $200 only, almost more than half of the price cut off from the original markup. All I have to do it replace the hard drive.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy them new, I don't mind buying use products when it's a video game console or something of the sort, but I consider a computer to be very personal. I like getting a brand new one and modifying it however I feel like, and knowing that no one else has used it before me. Aside from this a used computer is sure to have a shorter lifespan than a brand new one, and I like my computers to last a while.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We have done both: bought used and bought new. The problem with buying new is that you might have to buy a lot of applications or programs. Whereas, if you buy it used people often just leave the Windows, games, etc. on there. Also, most people we have bought computers used from gave us a lot of accessories with it. I think the important thing is to trust the source though. Most computers do not have a long lasting battery so that might be a risk you take when buying used - the battery life might not be very long. Whenever we have bought from people online we always ask for confirmation how long the life of the battery is and often times they write back, 'they do not know'. I think most people do know and their response means the battery is dead. I need at least one hour of battery life for any computer because I use mostly laptops because I like to go to different areas of the house.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I intend to buy my own desktop CPU in the future, and I am just looking at 2nd hand CPU's. I think that it's ok to buy them used as long as the date of purchase is not really that old so that it is less likely to conk out while you're using it. Although if I have the budget, I also might buy a brand new one. But for desktops, I am content to search for used units.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    If you can afford to buy new, go for it. used laptop has advantages too. As I have bought used laptop before, I have learned to search for solutions to problems encountered when using it and thats the advantage to it, you'll learn to fix on your own. lol

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Laptops generally have a shorter lifespan. Those selling used ones could possibly be trying to get them off their hands before they [the laptops] "die." My advice would be to get a refurbished laptop at almost the same price as a used laptop but unlike used laptops, refurbished ones will be almost new.

I have to note that occasionally you may find a good used laptop but don't count on being that lucky. Better opt for refurbished.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you need the computer like THAT second for some sort of deadline, I wouldn't touch a used computer with a 10 foot pole. I've always considered my computers to be long-term investments that I keep for 2+ years, so I make sure I always get what I want. If that means saving up for a little while longer, then I'm fine with that.

But more of a reason to buy new is you know there aren't any hidden or lingering problems that might pop up with a used comp. That's pretty important, especially since you just dealt with your old one breaking and want something that you can rely on.

9. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I never even considered buying a used one. New ones are cheap enough. Also the new ones will come with a year's warranty. If it broke much after that I'd just replace it. So I guess computers are getting pretty close to throwaway technology to me. That's a scary thought. It seems I am replacing my laptop approximately every year and a half to two years at this point. My newest one is at the manufacturers getting a new keyboard (in warranty).

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to gadgets, I always buy new ones. Maybe I would consider a used computer if I personally know the seller. Otherwise, it's just too risky. Buying a new one also allows you to be more flexible with your options. You can customize the rig according to your needs.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    There really is no preference on my end. If I absolutely just had to have a laptop right now, I'd go buy used and cheap. I don't find my family having to have one though. If I had to have one for a business or school, I'd buy new. If you buy new, you know your pc just might lAst a little longer then a used one.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying a new computer especially if the old one that needs to be repaired doesn't have up-to-par specs anymore. Fortunately, because computers/laptops are expensive, mine doesn't need to be repaired or replaced often.

13. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    desktop computers usually last as long as you don't over use by heavily playing graphic games which will burnout its chips. overclocking tends to make it worst in my experience. Once a computer starts dying, its almost good to throw it after all you may have used it for quite some time.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to buy brand new as much as possible. I honestly don't trust used goods that much and if it's just a $50 difference I'd definitely just go for the brand new one. It's hard to tell what has happened to a used laptop prior to your acquisition and you'd probably not have the benefit of a warranty by doing that anyway, so I'd say paying the extra 50 is definitely worth it for some peace of mind. I'd only consider a second hand item if the price difference were really that huge.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. At the very least if I needed something cheap I would buy refurbished. It's too easy for computers to break down and we do so many things on it so we need as much power in it as possible.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once bought a laptop at cash converters for $400. It was a good computer that lasted for 4 years before it developed a problem. So, I think I did well with it at the time. But, admittedly, it did have a few small issues, like running slow for no apparent reason, and sometimes it took me a while to get into various programs.
    Two years ago I bought a new laptop and haven't had any issues with it so far. I am flexible. For me, it all depends on my finances. If I have enough money, I prefer to buy new products. But if that is not an option, I don't mind second-hand gadgets.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think buying used isn't so much as a bad deal if the computer is still in good shape. I personally prefer buying the computer part by part and not really as a whole because it's much cheaper. But if I were to buy a used one I'd probably just change some of the parts like the hard drive.

18. Anya

AnyaNew Member

Threads:
    I only buy new. Buying a used one can be very risky, and I prefer to stay clear of that risk if it only costs me $50 or so. Personally, I'd recommend you to build your own custom computer, but I know that a lot of people don't want to do that as they think it takes a lot of work.

If you're looking to save a bit of money though, I'd say at least check out information on building a computer. It could save you hundreds of dollars if you did it, and it'd be more customized to your needs.

19. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would buy new, but refurbished if it was from the manufacturer like Apple that still give a warranty on their products. Computers go out of date quickly and you have to invest in the latest software, a new one will have the latest operating system on it and when you buy new, there are often add on services that can save you money in the long run.

Always look at the guarantee and what it covers, because it can cost you more to fix it otherwise.

20. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I would suggest staying away from buying a refurbished or used laptop/computer, always buy yourself a brand new when it comes to electronics/gadgets this will prevent you from future problems and headaches you might encounter with used computers, not to mention there is no warranty.