Would you travel to a high risk hurricane area just because you got a great deal?

Discussion in Travel started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 26, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    With the recent hit of Hurricane Odile to the touristy Baja area of Mexico, one has to question how a town like this will restore itself. One option would be to drop rates to encourage tourism again once the storm had passed. However, for some people, if the season is not over with, this would be a risk. What would you do? Would you take a chance to vacation in a hurricane area (with no apparent hurricane being active at the time of purchase) just because you got a good deal on the trip?

2. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I would go! Not because I got a good deal, but because I am an adventurous person and I would love to go to such a place.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people book hoildays during hurricane season, but sometimes you are unlucky to get a real hurricane. I have chanced it and I was fine, but it wasn't high risk, just lots of rain at strange times. There are plenty of places to visit in the world without putting yourself at risk, so I wouldn't if the place had a history of hurricane damage, but nature can strike anywhere.

The people who live there have no choice, but are usually prepared. I was living on the East Coast during Sandy and being in a hurricane is not an adventure, but a time to respect nature IMHO.

4. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    No I wouldn't do that at all. I would never put a good deal above my own safety and the safety of my friends or family. I wouldn't go in a place with a good if it meant it was a disaster stricken place and that natural disasters like hurricanes could occur. Now, a VERY good deal, would have me thinking :D but I would also be questioning why its so good in the first place and I would be skeptical enough to not jump to the occasion. You have to weigh in the risks and the price and if its worth it at all.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course I would go. If I was really interested on visiting that area, nothing, within reason of course, would hold me back. After a hurricane has passed, it is not likely to return that quickly. At least that is my experience with tropical cyclones. As a matter of fact, after such disasters, the people of the region need as much help as they can get, especially from visitors who continue to bring money to the area. I have seen how the economy almost totally collapsed in my town after a cyclone flattened it. Due to bad publicity, tourists didn't want to come anymore to our beautiful part of the world, despite of the storm having long passed.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would still go. Weather is very unpredictable, so it should not be taken against the place that has been hit by a hurricane. Also, going there is a great way to help the area recover. I am sure that entrepreneurs there will need capital to repair or reopen their businesses.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, just because an area is at risk it does not mean that a hurricane is certain. In areas like Florida etc they are well prepared for this sort of thing anyway. I doubt my life would be in serious risk, the worst that would really happen would be a delayed flight.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would take the chance. However, I would check the refund policy very closely, and insure the plane tickets. As long as the destination isn't in the path of a major storm during the vacation, I'd go. If it did turn out to be imminent, you could always request a refund and have a backup vacation destination in mind.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I would never risk my life for any good price on traveling. With going to a hurricane area during that season is really not safe at all. Even though there is no active hurricane at that time, there is no telling when one will hit. I would rather just wait until after hurricane season is over to travel to any place like that.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I probably wouldn't do it during hurricane season itself unless I was going to the place in order to help rebuild it.

I might go during off-seasons if I got a really good price, though, just to help the local economy and hopefully get to see an area that I could never afford to visit otherwise.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely consider it, assuming that no major active hurricanes are heading toward the area. Hurricane season isn't that threatening unless you're in the way of a given storm. You just weigh the risks (the hurricane) and the reward (a cheap vacation) in order to make a decision. I'd say that I'd take the discount more times than I'd decline it.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Puerto Rico which is a hurricane area. Hurricane season is from June to November. That's a long time, but there's only a couple of tropical storms each season and there hasn't been a Hurricane in years. Our buildings are good to withstand a hurricane so in the rare event it happens the tourists will be safe at the hotels or rental houses. So I would say it's ok to travel during hurricane season, but research the location to see how many storms or hurricanes they usually get and how well prepared they are. However I wouldn't travel to a place that was just hit by a hurricane, unless I wanted to help out some way. I imagine lots of the attractions will be closed and so you wont get the greatest experience.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd maybe research it if the scheduled trip was on a season that hurricanes didn't happen that much and I'd consider it if it were so, but in general I think I would more likely just pass it over since there are a lot more places I could go to at a cheap price, and it's just not worth a discount to risk my enjoyment or even my well being. If I were going just after a major one happening, I'd maybe consider it a bit more since I'd be confident that I'm probably safe since the worst is over, but that's about it.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's hurricane season. When a hurricane is most likely to strike an area. While it's possible for hurricanes to hit places outside of the seasons, chances are if you're traveling at a time when hurricanes are least likely to occur, you'd be safe. So like most of the guys who've said they wouldn't mind traveling to such places, I too, would not let the deal get past me.

p.s I have a firm belief that if something bad was to happen to you, no matter where you are, it would seek you out.

15. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    I would go if I am travelling with friends, However I won't take suck a risk with my family.

16. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Why not?! I would like to go to the Caribbeans even if a hurricane event is imminent, because I would be saving a ton of money, I would be visiting a place I would probably never be able to visit in the near future, and I would be able to experience nature's fury first-hand. I don't want to be a bubble-boy and be shielded all my life, that is no way to live, in my opinion and personal experience.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would bother if it's for a good cause. You mentioned "high risk" and "hurricane." I don't want to risk my life to that extent unless I go to that place during a season when there is hardly any hurricane. If you really want to take full advantage of the deal - of course it'd be a waste to just let it go and it will surely prick one's conscience thinking about the people affected - then visit the place when the climate's hot and the sun shines bright.

18. Muraki

MurakiNew Member

Threads:
    That's not for me.

I like to travel and would really like to travel to as many places as possible but a high risk hurricane area just rings too many warning bells for me. It may not be a warning at the moment or for the near future but you don't travel for just a weekend but stay a couple of days and in those days a lot can happen. Most of the big hurricanes in the world did come unexpected and being in a high risk area it just doesn't sound right for me.

That being just my opinion though.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would never traveling during hurricane season. I live in California and I'm used to earthquakes. The idea of hurricanes and tornadoes makes me very nervous. I was visiting a family member last year. She lives in the Southern part of the US that has very bad electrical storms. The warning sirens is something that I don't want to experience again.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is my thinking as well. Although, I do agree with Denis too, that when your number is up, it's up. I also tend to think that maybe if a hurricane recently hit, the odds might be against it happening again soon (but it could happen). Either way, I'd probably avoid going during hurricane season unless I was headed there as a volunteer. It is an interesting question.