Can you decrease your PC monitor's resolution?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by deathbyprayer • Sep 26, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I was testing out some games on this computer I built and I was trying to get a compromise between graphics quality and resolution. I was wondering if there's anyway to further decrease the resolution of a monitor. I have a 1366 x 728 monitor and it only goes down to 1024 x 768, I know the aspect ratio is at play here but do you guys know any way or software than can make it go even lower, like 800 x 600 perhaps?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're accessing screen resolution options through the Control Panel, correct? Or are you using settings on the actual monitor? You should be able to get the resolution a little bit lower by changing the default settings in the Control Panel on a Windows PC. Otherwise, I don't know if such programs exist, but I'm assuming they do. You might need to make that compromise with full screen but a smaller viewing window for the games.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes you can, here is how to do so:

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are playing a game on your computer, there are often options within the game itself to adjust it down to a lower resolution rather than to do it through your Windows control panel. I would prefer to do it within the game, so the program knows that you are running at a lower resolution. I am wondering if by changing it through your Windows control panel that you might run into a problem with it mistakenly running the game at the higher resolution, but Windows itself downsampling it to a lower resolution.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    You can definitely lower your resolution beyond the recommended values in the control panel, but as Tom mentions it's wiser to do this within the game or application directly. Most games have an options screen which will allow you to customize the resolution to supported value by the software, which is always the best method

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes you can. Just right-click anywhere in the desktop, hit on 'Screen Resolution' and you'll see options. I have a netbook, so i really do have small screen, so i chose the highest screen resolution which is 1024x600. :p

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried it though, because the display of the monitor does not really bother me. I prefer to use the display as it is. Although, I do think there is a way to reduce the resolution of the PC. It is really important that you change the resolution of PC without affecting anything else on the PC.