Books as gifts

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Theo • Sep 26, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to give books as gifts and also receive them. Even with e-books, first editions and autographed copies are collectors items and valuable. I have a book with a personal dedication from the author and it will always remain special to me. Personal dedications are nice to read and is a wonderful reminder of when you go the book and who from.

Authors will often sign extra copies when they are doing a signing so you can still find find autographed copies for sale at the same price after the event.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Books make great gifts, for anyone of any age, in my opinion. The saying goes that, "reading maketh a man", and I really do subscribe to that truth, for if man were to rely solely upon hearsay, then the base of their knowledge would never be certain. It would be like constantly forming beliefs based on "gossip" or sensationalism. That wouldn't be wisdom in action!
    And, with today's technological innovations, we are able to observe that even the visually impaired can freely enjoy their favorite book, via audio books, and various other helpful forms of software that are available for them and anyone who prefers this form of literature.
    Books allow one's mind to be expanded, as one is forced to form one's own interpretations on the issues that are presented within; this, as opposed to receiving information from others, which has already been "filtered through" their subjective opinions on those matters.
    If I had a gift to give, my first option would be a book, for it is my desire to edify the gift-receiver, rather than to give them something temporary, that won't even add to their character or to the development of their "mental muscles".

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that books make for excellent gifts. However, there are just people who do not like reading at all. For instance, I have so many friends who aren't into books of any kind. I tried giving one a book for his birthday. He thanked me but said I should know he probably wouldn't read it.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I like receiving books for gifts as I love reading. I find it difficult to buy books for other people though as I do not know their reading tastes. My mum is the exception to this as I know she enjoys similar books to me.

5. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    It just depends on the person if someone doesn't like to read then I would not give him a book for a present.
    I would love to have a book for a gift because i love to read. I think it is easier to give a real book then an E book because you can go to a bookstore and pick out a book and then wrap it up. I'm not sure how you go about giving an e book as a gift maybe you can buy the book and send it to their account, I"m not sure.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think books make excellent gifts, and they are easy to wrap!! That's a nice bonus for me, since I'm terrible at wrapping things. What I like about giving someone a book is that not only do they get something they enjoy, but if they decide they won't be reading it a second time, they can sell it or give it away again, so it has a secondary value for the person I give it to, and whoever might get it after them. I like to give gifts that won't just end up taking up space once they have been used a bit and are no longer interesting.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People have different tastes. You could know someone who likes a particular genre but it so happens that some people can only read books by particular authors. Should you buy them a book written by an author they don't like that much, they'd probably not read that book = wasted money.

Unless someone hints that they'd like to read a certain book, then it's better not to buy them that book. Or you could just ask them if a certain book would interest them before buying it.

Despite all I've said, books certainly are excellent gifts especially for kids.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you buy a person a book as a gift that they may need, but had not thought of buying it or was something they could not justify buying. For example an art book or photography book of someone they admire, but never thought to buy, or a self -help book for someone who is interested in meditation, but didn't know what to buy. People buy me books that they think I would interested in and it can introduce you to authors you had not thought of or heard of.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Books are one of my favourite gifts. I think you can tell a lot about a person if they give you a book to read as a gift. The cover on a book says so much to me. I love getting books as a gift! I love it when my daughter goes down to the library and comes back with a book that she thinks I should read. It's a great feeling getting a book from a person.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think books make great gifts, especially if you are gifting a book that you've already read.
    It means that the book is an experience that you've enjoyed and you'd like the person to sh<are that experience with you.

11. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think a gift card to a book store is a better idea in my opinion. Especially in younger audience, they will read a book that will catch their eyes. If they do not want a book, then they can look around the book store of all their gadgets they have.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to be given books as gifts in the same way I like giving books as gifts. The thing about books is that they have a lasting effect on you, emotionally and mentally. When you're giving it as a present, it's like you're saying to the other person that they're priceless. That there's something in your present that they couldn't find elsewhere in stores or malls.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Books would make excellent gifts to those people that actually read them and are interested in them. I mean, you can't just give away books to people you know. What if they don't like books? Then it would just be a waste. I personally would love to be gifted a book since I do love reading so I think it's a great idea for a gift to bookworms.

14. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading books and receiving them as gifts. I also love giving books to my friends and family who enjoy reading. I wouldn't waste time giving books to people who don't like to read because that would be a waste of time and money. I'm better off keeping the books than giving them to someone who doesn't like reading.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really think that books are great gifts for those who are book lovers, but a useless item for those who find reading a tedious task. So, depending to whom you are going to give a book, books as a gift could be great and at the same time could be awful. But general, I find books nice to be given as gifts and to be received as the same.