Making old Jeans New

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Sep 28, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids can be hard on jeans. The good news is that they like the ripped, torn, frayed, beat up look, so jeans aren't ruined once they take some damage. But, maybe you don't want your teenage daughter going to school with holes in her jeans. Here's a great way to "patch" a ripped knee: trim the edges and strings around the hole. Turn the jeans inside out and add a piece of lace (from the inside). If you sew, great, you can easily stitch it in. If not, grab some Fabric glue. Turn the jeans right side out, and there you go. Cute "new" jeans for school.

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    This is a really nice tip. Sometimes kids love patches on their jeans. I have repaired one of my boys' denim jeans by sewing a zigzag pattern over the ripped part and then I covered it up with a patch. My son loved it. He wore it proudly to school to show it off to his classmates.

With girls' pants, this is even more interesting. There are lots of pretty patterns and fabrics than can be used as patches. A patch can add a unique accent to a pair of denim pants.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I LOVE this idea!!! I have 2 teenage daughters and they are always ripping their jeans or the jeans they have that are meant to be ripped are just a mess now. It is so easy to just turn them inside out and sew a quick piece of cute lace on the hole. I saw this post and thought it was so cute I went and did the entire project in under 10 minutes!!! That's with me gathering the jeans and the materials as well. I always have tons of crafty things on hand because we have a craft room for the kids that I try to keep stocked. :)

Thanks you for such a great idea!!

Saved me $$$ and I love that. :)

Danyel :)

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when patched jeans were in. They were actually selling them with artistically placed patches of all kinds of fabrics at stores like Limited Too, and for like $60-70, and that was over 10 years ago. That's cool that it is back in style now. It's a great way to make clothes last longer, and if it is stylish, they won't feel bad about having repaired clothes. Even better if you can add a little creativity to it and make it fun. I'm all for saving money here and making things last as long as possible.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this! I do not have children, but I do rip my jeans every now and then because they are my everyday clothes. Another tip is to dye back the color if it's already fading. I have tried this a number of times because jeans tend to be expensive at times.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How nice! I think it's a shame to throw perfectly good jeans away only because they have a hole or two in them. You can do so much with damaged jeans. You can patch them up in some creative way, turn them into shorts, or just enjoy the holes.
    I only ever get rid of jeans if the crotch is worn out, or the material that covers the butt is getting a little thin. I don't want to get caught with an embarrassing split in my pants.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can mend such jeans, but sometimes, depending on the person, ripped, frayed, and jeans with holes can still be used outside when you go out. Recently, I even saw a local female celebrity wearing jeans with a hole on the knee part of her jeans while she had a tv guesting. Although I don't have such jeans, since most of my jeans still look decent.

#7Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Neat idea Zyni, but I feel that most likely works better for girls no? I mean, boys usually don't wear that sort of jeans with pieces glued from the inside I think, they would say it's not "manly" haha. Possibly it depends on the fabric as well, I'll investigate further, thanks.