Wireless mouse and keyboard

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years ago wireless mouse and keyboards appeared and everyone was fascinated. I tried them, but I confess I did not become a fan because I feel that they just spend too much batteries being in this way much more expensive, not to mention that is really annoying to be working and to be out of batteries... What's your say?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I still prefer wired mouse and keyboard any day. If one travels a lot, though, wireless peripherals would probably be the better option. But if you just use your laptop at home, I think there's really need to go the wireless route. It's not like you would move around a lot anyway. But maybe that's just me.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I tried the wireless mouse and keyboard for some time, but I realize the mobility isn't really needed, they never left the desk anyway!
    To add to that I'm also an avid gamer and running out of battery in the middle of a session was extremely irritating.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use wireless mice and keyboards. I see now benefit for using them on this desktop, and it just emits unnecessary radiation. Perhaps not dangerous levels but still why even bother with them. I can understand where they may be beneficial but I don't see a use personally.

5. Xhantar

XhantarNew Member

Threads:
    There is also a possibility of some additional latency being introduced when going from wired to wireless. Just how noticeable it is will depend a lot on the applications. Things like percussion simulated in music video games like

, for example, might become very noticeable if your input is even just slightly off-beat, and low latency is vital to hardcore players of fast-paced online FPS games. On the other hand, if you just plan on using productivity apps or do some web browsing, any added latency might not be an issue at all.

Websites such as

might be useful in testing for yourself.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My mom got a wireless mouse and I didn't like it. I found it to be quite heavy actually compared to the ones that don't have batteries in them. I was very annoyed by the running out of battery problem because changing the batteries wasn't very easy, I think it was kind of tight or something.

I also am concerned about excess radiation and try to keep radiation producing devices farther away from my body if possible. I don't see the need for a wireless mouse, just get one with a good long cord if that's what you need.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play games a lot in the past and my reasoning for not using wireless mouse/keyboard was this question: what would happen if I'm playing my online game of choice and my batteries die out? I'll annoy my teammates and I loose. Sure, having some spare batteries handy helps solve this, but I'm forgetful, no way I'd buy some in advance. So instead of constantly replacing batteries, I chose the easier (and inexpensive way), wired tech.

8. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried them as well and also I was not fascinated with them at all, they are restricted by their limited battery capacity and having a home pc its really not at all usefull to me, its actually an inconvenience that I would have to change or recharge the batteries every now and then and plus there is the added factor of a small fraction of latency on wireless devices which I also don't like. Overall it is pretty useless to me.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I just keep rechargeable batteries on hand. Older models used to suck them dry every few days, but my current mouse will last for weeks before I have to change its single batter...and my keyboard lasts almost as long.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I love the wireless keyboard and mouse. I hate that it runs off batteries but I find them very useful. I so not like having a lot of cords around my computer so that is why I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. They are also very cute because they come in different shapes and sizes which I like. I also like the fact that I can find a wireless mouse in my favorite color and with designs on it.

11. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I very much dislike wireless mice and keyboards. I've tried both and I've had nothing but issues with the two. They frequently disconnected and didn't give a very strong signal or consistent response. I have replaced both of them with wired versions of the product. However, I have a wireless headset and it functions well. It's very nice because I can walk away from the computer while listening to music or the video I'm watching.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a wireless mouse or keyboard yet, but I think based on the comments that I have read, I will not be eager to try them out soon. They seem to perform poorly as compared to wired devices and they also require batteries, which is an added expenditure. So I will stick to the wired versions.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wireless keyboards and mice are far better than they used to be. Mots people that complain of inconsistent and dropping signals have often opted for cheaper devices that are susceptible to breaking as soon as they come out of the box. On the other hand, slightly more expensive wireless devices won't drop signal but will keep latency to a minimum in order to fight against lag between operations. I've had positive experiences, but I'm currently using a wired setup.

14. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually like the wireless keyboard and mouse but my husband doesn't. He done away with the wireless and put back all the old school equipment back on. It didn't bother me as I prefer my tablet or phone to work on.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a wireless/bluetooth keyboard for my Android Tablet. It is helpful because the Nexus is known for its touch issues. I agree though that it wastes battery. It is also very inconvenient because after typing on the keyboard, I still have to touch the tablet to send the message.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't used mouse and keyboard in so long because it's been a while since I've used a desktop computer, but even when I did I usually just went with a wired one anyway because I wasn't going too far away from the CPU at all so it didn't seem necessary. I think wireless mouse or keyboards are best for when you are also using your computer as a media center device wherein you'd most likely be far away sitting at a couch while navigating.

17. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    I am not using a wireless mouse nor keyboard. I prefer the original, wire based ones. Well, for many reasons besides money. I like to think that there is a delay with the wireless peripherals, of course, not a very noticeable one, but depending on what you are doing it may affect the joy you feel when using it. For example when I play FPS games, or multiplayer games in general, I feel better playing with the wired based peripherals rather than with the wireless, much more expensive ones.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have got a laptop and never use a mouse anymore. I used to get a lot of pain in my shoulder from pushing around the mouse, wireless or otherwise. So, I decided to go without a mouse. But in the days when I still had a PC, it never occurred to me to get a wireless keyboard or mouse. I just found it too awkward for some reason, worrying about running out of battery power while I am in the middle of something important.

19. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, I like my wired electronic devices for now. Unless one truly need a wireless mouse or keyboard, due to constant moving or comfort reasons, then it's okay to use them. Wireless devices still require better and longer lasting batteries to make them more practical in usage, so until such a technological advancement can be made in this energy problem, I'm sticking with my wired devices.

20. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of wireless either especially the mouse. Wireless mice are pretty heavy and you have to spend extra for the batteries and if you ran out of them in the middle of something then it's a bummer. And besides, not unless you're half a mile away from your computer you won't really need them that much.