Lemons for Cleaning

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Sep 29, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Lemons are great for cleaning. They have a lovely smell and the acid breaks through grease. They are also good for cleaning kitchen surfaces after preparing fish as they get rid of the bad odours. They are a cheap and natural option as a cleaner. Do you use lemons for cleaning? If so, what do you use them for and do you have any tips?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've mixed lemon juice into homemade cleaning solutions before, although I don't use them all the time. They have great cleaning properties, and they're cheap enough to use all the time for this purpose. I love the smell, and it's always better to use actual lemons in homemade products than to use lemon-scented products that don't smell as good or natural.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I use sliced lemons in my dishwasher several times for not only the smell but the juice from them makes the dishes cleaner. I even used lemon slices in my garbage disposal when I had one. Lemons are a multi-use fruit that will never fade. The acid in lemons are great for so many cleanings.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, lemons are quite expensive because they are not harvested locally. Still, I have tried to use them once as a cleaner because our tiles were stained. They were effective although they didn't remove the stains completely. :) I mixed the juice with baking soda by the way.

5. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I use lemons for cleaning quite often. The best places to use them is where smells are the worse. When I cook fish especially. Another good time to use it is when you are cooking or cutting onions. The cutting board just never smells the same after that.The lemon takes the smell right away though. After I'm done using it, I scrub the kitchen sink and then put the rest down my garbage disposal. It makes the disposal smell fresh and clean again!!!

Thanks for sharing !!
    Danyel :)

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I personally use Distilled vinegar, but lemon juice is very good too. It leaves a smell, but some might consider that a bonus. Have you ever tried it with toilets? Vinegar does that very well but I'm not sure what else does.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    The hair salon nearby suggested to use lemon when you got dandruff lol. it must be really effective of course these guys know well about hairs and scalp. I've tried it once because i occasionally have dandruff

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It might sound unusual, but I really adore lemons. I drink lemon water all day long. Mind you, with a straw, as the acid might cause damage to the enamel of teeth. I also use the lemon water to clean and tone my face. I use a lemon rinse for my hair to keep those blond highlight alive. To be honest, if I don't have lemons around my house, I feel as if something is missing. I use lemons as an ingredient in my home made all purpose cleaner, as well as a remedy to get rid of bad smells and mould. I love lemons.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use lemons for cleansing my skin. They are very cheap and available at any season, so it's not difficult to get them from the supermarket anytime of the year. They are very effective in cleansing and peeling my skin, causing my skin to look smooth and to reduce current and future breakouts. They don't just kill the germs that linger on my skin, they also bleaches, causing my skin to look white.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Lemons are highly acidic which makes them very useful for cleaning purposes. I also use it regularly to clean kitchen and other places. Also it is highly organic hence there is no chance of getting infected by any way from using lemons.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love lemons; but I do not use them for cleaning. I usually use white vinegar for that becasue lemons are pretty expensive here. I use the lemons of fish, and also I make lemonade with real lemons init to flavor it. I usually get the store brand of Crystal Lite lemonade, and then I juice up a whole lemon and put that in my glass along with the halves of the rind, add ice cube, the lemonade mix, and drink that.
    The real lemon cuts the sweetness of the lemonade mix, and I like the taste of it much better, plus the lemon makes it healthier.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lemons are rare in my part of the world so in lieu of lemons, we use a small citrus fruit known by many as "Calamondin" to give plates, knives, spoons, forks and other kitchen utensils that extra shine. My mom already bought a huge dish washing paste with grease-stripping abilities but Calamondin extract is still added to the paste for better cleaning effects.

13. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about the multiple uses for lemons for cleaning, but have never tried it myself. I've heard that rubbing a lemon under your arm works well as a deodorant. I'd feel like I was wasting a lemon however if I soiled it by rubbing it under my arms, haha. However, if I was in a pinch at work or elsewhere and had a lemon for some odd reason I would be happy to use it as a substitute deodorant.