Wine from a Box

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried boxed wine? If you enjoy a glass of wine now and again, or you like to cook with wine, you can find some fairly tasty offerings with boxed wine. It's a better value to purchase a box than it is to buy a bottle, and the way it is packaged allows it to last longer. If you don't mind a good, cheap, wine, give it a try. Obviously, boxed wine isn't targeted toward the wine connoisseur, but for every day folks looking to have a little sip with dinner, it's not a bad deal.

2. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I have only ever tried boxed apple juice in the same type of box you're talking about and it was pretty good but I have never tried boxed wine. I don't usually drink wine anyway, only when out with friend or when celebrating something with friends or family but then I would just buy a regular bottle of wine cause you know, its just for the sake of it being fancy and whatnot :D and not much else cause you don't drink wine in industrial quantities every day anyhow, so that's what I do, I don't know just my 2 cents. Interesting find though, I might try this just to see how it is.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink wine in industrial quantities either. :) The box isn't that big! It's just a better value, and as I said, it lasts a long time. It's great for making up your own wine coolers if you have a party or something too. Far less pricey than individually bottled wine coolers. All you have to do is mix 2 parts lemon lime soda with one part wine. You can always add a dash of fruit juice too, for even more flavor. Add a slice of fruit or sprig of mint if you want to get fancy.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I like the idea of making your own wine coolers if you was to purchase the box wine. I was just wondering what other options were to do with wine since I'm
    Not much of a wine drinker and the box wines are bigger then most.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had wine from a box and it's fine for parties and when you are on a budget. The problem is storing it, unless you decant it into your own bottles which makes it easier. Some are okay and others, you can mix with some lemonade to make them taste better.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with boxed wine as something to drink during the meals, of course it's not really something for a special occasion with your significant other hehe :)
    I sometimes drink it and I quite enjoy it, mixed with 7UP :)

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love boxed wines and usually buy them over buying bottled wines. Bottled varieties are such a waste when you think about it, you really only get about 4 glasses, and you are mainly paying for the branding and the packaging in a lot of cases - the wine itself may not even be all that remarkable. Plus if you are entertaining with a lot of people, it doesn't look too good to be dragging bags full of empty bottles out to the trash.

On the other hand, if you just want a glass or two, you don't need to hurry up and drink the rest of the bottle before it goes bad, the boxed wines do a far better job of keeping the wine fresh. Plus every restaurant I've ever worked at used boxed wines in all their cooking. I never saw cooks popping open bottles of wine one at a time. If it's good enough to be used in some $35-$50 a plate menu item, it's perfectly fine to drink at home.

One of the best parts is not having the big bags of bottles all the time - especially if you live in an apartment, which it can be rather noisy dragging that down a hallway, and all your neighbors think you're some big lush. The boxes are more discreet because you can break them down and fold them down before tossing in the trash.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have had box wine before and some of the brands are really decent. Some can be not that great, though. Some of the boxed brands sell 3 glass portions for you to sample so I'd suggest that before you buy a whole box. You do get a good value for your money, especially when comparing it to other cheap bottle wines. I like to keep a red in my pantry and use it for cooking. It stays good for a fairly long time. I'll spend more money for a good bottle to drink every now and then but if I'm cooking or just want a glass it's nice to have the box handy.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried this a good number of times, and I agree that it's mostly not really inedible. I'm not a wine expert either so I'm sure many would disagree, but as a casual drinker it isn't too bad. I probably wouldn't know it if it were already served to me in a glass, honestly, but I'm sure that if I got to taste some of the better ones I'd probably learn some subtle hints on what really differentiates the top bottled wines from boxed ones.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have tried boxed wine. I don't really like buying boxed wine because I drink more :O. I find with bottled wine you know what you are getting and I don't drink as much. So I prefer buying bottles of wine.