Settlers of Catan Board Game

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by troutski • Sep 29, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Settlers of Catan is a strategic board game that normally requires 2 to 6 players and offers a large number of expansions. You gather resources while trying to outperform your opponents. The game board costs between $30 and $40, but the game is incredibly interesting for vested players. The expansions cost additional money, of course. It's a great game!

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I quite like it! I learned to play Catan earlier this year at a friends recommendation. I own just the vanilla version (expansions seem to cost a lot) but I'm having a blast. I especially like that you can win the game in multiple ways, trade or cripple your opponents (thief). I'd play more but all my friends seem to prefer Monopoly over Settlers of Catan.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Yep! I first played the game with my boyfriend and his friend and it's a lot of fun :) It's even more fun if you have the expansion board too. Though admittedly it can get really frustrating because sometimes all the resources are not near you and you need that specific resource to build a road to get to the said resource...yeahhh it's a never-ending cycle of frustration :p

4. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I didn't even realize there was an expansion board! Thanks for that info. A friend of mine gave me Catan for my birthday and we played it quite a bit for a while. It's fizzled out over the past couple of months and an expansion board might be just what we needed to get back into it!

5. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    There are several expansions, from full-on expansions that more than double the game play, to smaller mini-expansions that add one new aspect, like fishing, to the game. They cost around $20-$40, but the expansions I've played have totally been worth it. Cities and Knights is my favorite so far. It's almost like playing a different game, the priorities are shifted and there are way better development cards of different types.