Does Your Dog Eat Poop?

Discussion in Pets started by sidney • Sep 30, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My uncle just gave us his German Shepherd a week ago and I am a bit suspicious as to why they would give a pet that they spent money on complete with papers away. They tried selling the dog online but no one was interested in buying it, so the dog was given to us. Now we have been the recipient of pets with "attitude" in the past, like my cousin had a cat that was given to us, and it's "fierce" and it attacks when it's annoyed at you, and the Labrador that he gave us last 2008 eats poop. Now I discovered a few days ago when I took out my cat's cage outside to clean it because he pooped in it, and I saw how our German Shepherd ate the little meatball-looking poop of my cat. He seemed to LOVE it! So now I'm thinking maybe that's the reason why they wanted to dispose of the dog.

Now I'm wondering if your dog eats poop as well? I heard they do it because they lack "vitamins" in the body, but I think that doesn't apply to all dogs. Some dogs just eat anything disgusting I guess.

#1Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It is normal for dogs to eat their poop! Our pitbull does the same thing when she comes across the poop of my cats. I don't know what it is with cat poop, but dogs seem to like it. *blehhh* Hahahaha. Anyway, here is an article which lists some of the common reasons why dogs eat poop.

Read

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, that's quite enlightening. But not all dogs that we had ate poop. So maybe it just depends on the dog? But even if they were born to eat poop, I still find it rather icky, lol. That's why I prefer cats a lot more than dogs, they don't show such icky behavior. :D

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they do!!! Omg, my dogs eat poo anytime of the day, sometimes I get really angry at them and lock them away in the kennel for hours because they eat their poo. The only time that they do not eat their poo is when they are very full and they have no desire to "snack", lol, I love my furry fellows nonetheless, I ensure that they eat well and that they have proper dental hygiene. :')

#4Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Dogs eat poop when they are very young and it can affect their health a lot. Hence, one must be very careful about what they eat when they're young because it determines their overall growth. I do not understand why the dog needs to eat poop or what do they find so interesting in the stinking stuff. It is also known that poop can make the dogs grow really thin and it can make them weak in some cases.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case, our former Labrador who regularly eats her poop (she was tied to a leash) was still fat despite of that. She seems to be a glutton and can't stop eating anything, so I guess she didn't spare anything, not even her poop.