Bigger openings

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The soy milk bottle I use has a new design, with a wider opening what means that a whole lot more of milk comes out. I've seen this happen in other products and it makes me wonder, do they do this because it's more convenient to us consumers or just to try to make us spend more or their product?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe both, both if the consumer still carefully pours the milk out of the bottle, then he won't really waste or spill the product and he will still buy the milk in his usual time and not way ahead of his normal time right? Of course it all depends on how fast or slow he finishes consuming the milk bottle.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see how it can encourage you to use more, because you are controlling the carton and how much comes out. Sometimes people prefer bigger openings as small ones if it's a screw top are harder to grip and to open. Larger ones are easier, especially for people who have arthritis or they can use one of the gadgets that grips things and helps them to open them. Maybe that's why, some people said a small one was too fiddly and put them off buying it.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't think they want to encourage me to use more, I think they are promoting accidents, meaning, bigger openings more options for a spill to happen. But this can just be my mind trying to understand why they changed something that was working perfectly fine.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think that they do it out of convenience. People will just pour slower and shallower to ensure that less milk comes out. It can be very annoying pouring the bottle for ages waiting for the small trickle to fill a glass, so people would always prefer to be able to pour faster, even if they don't always do so.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think this is about selling more, probably it is about making it easier to open the container as it is easier to grip a larger lid than a tiny one. It's the ever shrinking container that gets me as far as consumer tricks go. As if we were to stupid to notice we are getting less for the same price. I am not sure what brand you are buying as I don't buy soy milk, but I know the opening for some things like kefir is really small, and that is fine for kefir as most people are only using a small amount at a time, but for something where you would use a whole glass or maybe more at one time, it would be nice if it poured a little faster.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't know about being easier to open, to be honest I feel that these bottles are harder to open due to the shape they have, so this doesn't work better for me. As for pouring slower, that's not the case, I think the previous package was pouring at a good speed.