Laptops in the classrooms

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Time have changed and in many classrooms the pieces of paper and Pens have been replaces by laptops. Ultimately this is the ideal way to save paper, pens and, most important, time because we do save time having our notes directly in the computer. A good new thing or not really?

2. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not so sure if this is a good or bad thing, because learning to write correctly is a skill we should all have. I think a laptop should be used in certain lessons like Science but not in English. I think books should still be read in class. Books are good for our children. Saying that I am very old fashioned according to me teenage daughter.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It can be as some people are able to take more detailed notes when they are typing because they are faster, however, some people goof off with their computers in class if they are bored. When I was in college, there were some classes that I thought were boring and so I did PTCs on my computer and sort of paid attention to the class. As a teacher I probably would not have liked that, but since I have been through the financial strain and experienced the desperate need for anything I can get, I understand and would be more tolerant if the student was still doing well in the class.

4. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    I consider this to be a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it's quite bad that the classic way of taking notes have changed so much. That is not because I am against technology of any sorts, I am a student at Comuter Science. I see that the laptop can easily make you lose your focus in class, and start concentrating on entertaining things that you can do and see on the laptop. Also, I agree with them being there, but in classes like programming or photo design or anything like that, because there even if it might not be necessary, it's quite useful. But for maths, language classes and many other, the laptop is only a distraction.

5. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I am a college student and personally I find this to be fantastic for saving money and time. I can type notes much more quickly than I can write them (100WPM on a keyboard, probably like 30WPM handwriting things), and in conjunction with me not having to buy a binder and paper, in the long run, I think it saves me much more, allowing me to save more money and be more efficient with my time.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In high school and college, integrating computers into the classroom makes tons of sense. Letting students bring their own laptops or providing students with them comes with plenty of benefits, including increased productivity and more effective learning. For younger students in elementary schools, though, I feel as though they should stick with traditional learning methods while slowly learning how to use computers. Students need to know how to use computers, sure, but they also need to know how to live without them, too.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It is convenient. However, many children today get distracted easily. This is the reason why letting them use laptops or other electronic gadgets is a bad thing. I think that telling children to write on paper is still a good thing. This is a basic skill that should not be neglected.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm already out of school so I missed this whole trend, but I think I would have liked to have used laptops a lot more since I always detested note taking due to the amount of writing I had to do and I always had trouble keeping up because I couldn't write that fast. I type really quickly though so I probably would have had a better chance of getting my notes completed had I had a laptop with me, and thus I might even have had slightly better grades.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A balance needs to be reached: pen and paper for the first years of schooling (kids still need to learn how to properly write) then laptops in the later years (kids need to learn how to properly use tech). Going with laptops from the start is not that good of an idea in my opinion, we still have books/papers etc around, kids needs to learn how to love those too.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm against the use of laptops in the classroom, especially for younger children, if this becomes a major trend will we see children not able to write with pen and paper in 50 years?
    I'm all for the idea of keeping all the textbooks on a tablet though, when I was in school it was very hard to carry those around everywhere.

11. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Learning to write is very mandatory in education. I feel like writing should be taught in younger grade years, but then for the rest of the grade school years they should be able to learn with their tablets and laptops. We are in a technology era. In college, I learned so much more by YouTube professors than my own.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is exactly how I feel too, I see no reason for teachers not to allow this practice because pen a paper are simply outdated in what concerns taking notes. Sure, in a test that is another thing, no electronic devices, but in regular classes it has to be ok.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Did any of you who also do or did take your computer to class ever get in trouble for it? Did you always stay on task or did you, like me, sometimes decide to do a little side work when you were bored with the class or it was going really slow?

I do sometimes wonder if many teachers are even aware of what their students are actually doing on their laptops. I know in gen-ed classes, most of the class is usually not interested in the subject, so they would be very tempted to do other things online.

14. polski691

polski691New Member

Threads:
    Being the highly optimistic person that I am, who is to say that the situation you describe is not a good thing? Perhaps the future our children will live in will be one where pen and paper will be obsolete and all written media will be electronic. Judging by the amount of progress laptops and tablets have brought to our schools, this could only mean good things.

I am all for the usage of laptops in classrooms. They really do open up a whole knew spectrum in terms of how the student approaches schooling and learning on the whole. A revolution is certainly abound, and I hope electronics replace the bulky books we now associate with schoolkids.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a bit of a futile task to complain about things progressing...so it has always been and so it will likely continue, and each generation worries about the changes that they see. I don't think it's a bad thing overall, but ultimately I think that there needs to be somewhat of a balance struck. I don't think it's a great thing, for instance, for young children to get a ton of screentime- and most of them already get so much outside of schoolwork. I think Elementary students should stick with good old pen and paper for most things, in middle school perhaps it can be more of a mix and high school and college students could work primarily on laptops.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Children need to learn how to use them, for college students it's almost expected that you have one to download new notes.
    For young children they should have computer lessons, but not have them in the classroom as they will end up playing games.

I agree pen and paper are important, but also assignments have to be handed in via email or printed out, sometimes a lecturer may refer to a website or a document and you have to look it up. I had one class where we had an interactive exercise we had to do using our laptops so it has become more of a tool as well for teachers to help students learn interactively.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I believe laptops or computers, should only be used when it is required to be used. Otherwise, students should not be asked not to use their laptops or CPUs until such an assignment is given, because a lot of students do get distracted very easily with the power of a electronic device in their faces.

As for books, I read far more when I have a book in my hand than a e-book on a android, tablet, laptop, or CPU monitor.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, maybe we should do a difference in age here. I believe that up to 15-16 years old (high school) students should not have them, but in the university they are responsible enough to use them to take notes, they can get distracted at their responsibility, they are paying for it.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It has to be in the way soon. But I don't think it's necessary at this time, it might be cheaper in the long run but I don't schools would actually put the effort and money to provide each student with their own laptops and besides it would depend on what kind of school it is. And I think kids would forget how to write in paper if they type in their lessons on a keyboard every day LOL.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not saying that the school should provide a laptop to each student, it's not the school responsibility, I am just saying that should be allowed the students from a certain age on, to use them in the classroom, it's more practical and cheaper than to take notes.