Dog digging through yard

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Strykstar • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    At my parent's house they have a nice backyard with a few vegetables planted, the problem is that their dog is now constantly digging there and messing things up, even though they've had her for a few years and this never happened.
    Does anyone have any solution on how to prevent the dog from doing this? Clearly scolding isn't working...

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Some spray their dog with water while they are digging to discourage it. I have also read that if you place chicken wire under the soil when it begins to dig it up he/she will not like the feel of the wire under his paws and then might stop doing it. If the dog is bored, then try playing with him more. He might be trying to catch a groundhog or other animal, so make sure to rid the grounds of that. You want him to chase away those things and so punishing him for doing it might have a reverse effect.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I like the chicken wire idea, it wouldn't interfere with the vegetables too much and it might make him stop, as long as it doesn't actually hurt him.
    We've already tried spraying some water on him but he didn't stop, it just made it worse since he was now digging through wet soil and getting dirty :)